Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM cards on wireless devices

KathM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, if I change my wireless device from a Huawei 4G pocket hotspot device to a Pro Netgear M1, do I need to change the SIM card?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@KathM 

A 4g sim will work in a 5g device and vice versa.

You won't get 5g with a 4g sim but you will only get 5g if you are in a 5g area anyway, which are limited currently.

If you do want a 5g sim, you just need to call O2 or pop in your local store to get one.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@KathM 

You can keep the same sim card but if buying on contract from O2 you will need to choose a new tariff.

If buying outright, just use your old sim with original tariff.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

KathM
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. Are you sure that the switch from a 4g to a 5g one doesn't make a difference? That's the bit that's concerning me. I will be buying on contract from O2

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@KathM 

A 4g sim will work in a 5g device and vice versa.

You won't get 5g with a 4g sim but you will only get 5g if you are in a 5g area anyway, which are limited currently.

If you do want a 5g sim, you just need to call O2 or pop in your local store to get one.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

KathM
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's great, thanks. 

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Welcome

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6