Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

grambuch
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I go to my Motorola phone settings it tells me my SIM Card is "O2 - UK WiFiCall". What exactly does this mean please? I have found recently that I could NOT make calls or send texts from abroad, despite having a good phone signal. Thanks for any information. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@grambuch 

That means you have wifi calling enabled.

Turning off when abroad might help as it cannot be used outside the UK.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

grambuch
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but does not answer my concern unfortunately. I have been in Australia and Algeria and I could NOT make any call or send any text. This despite having a good phone signal. O2 themselves have not helped. Does my SIM mean I can ONLY make UK calls? Seems weird to me. I checked with O2 a week before departure and they told me there would be no problem. 

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

No, I said wifi calling won't work abroad, not your sim.

What tariff are you on @grambuch ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

WhatsApp is always an option to make calls or send texts to anyone else with the WhatsApp app.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

grambuch
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am on monthly Pay as You Go. Each time I made a call it appeared to connect and then disconnected immediately with a small beep. For texts I got the message "Trouble sending". O2 Customer Services were worse than useless. 

Message 6 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6624 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

So have you got sufficient balance to call @ £2 per minute.

Also if you have data switched on that will have set you back £7.50 per Mb.

You can use that up in minutes

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@grambuch wrote:

I am on monthly Pay as You Go. Each time I made a call it appeared to connect and then disconnected immediately with a small beep. For texts I got the message "Trouble sending". O2 Customer Services were worse than useless. 

That's why I asked.

Wifi calling isn't available on PAYG so not sure why your phone shows that and your big bundles don't work abroad.

You need to top up extra credit to make calls outside of the UK or EU.

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

See here for charges for use abroad Using Your Phone Abroad → O2 Travel Search Tool | O2

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5804 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:Wifi calling isn't available on PAYG so not sure why your phone shows that and your big bundles don't work abroad.

I think that's a bit like turning a tap on when the stopcock is turned off @MI5. Nothing happens !  

I have two Samsung handsets with O2 PAYG SIMs therein. I can switch WiFi Calling on on both of them ; the icon lights up. I think that is more that your 'phone is looking for WiFi Calling than actually utilising it. 👍    

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

I wouldn't expect it to show up in settings at all for a non supported sim.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11