Did you mean: 

Poor data speed for over 6 months

tnpmonkey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Long story short...

Been with 02 for around 10 years. Currently have a Samsung S10 due to upgrade in January however since March 2021 the internet speed has been awful.

O2 speed test shows less than 1mb and network failure. I spent around 2 months emailing o2 complaints and they kept saying that because the website shows its fine that means its fine. Before March 2021 in CT161DJ i was getting brilliant speeds. Now i cant load a webpage or app.

I have had a new sim card, factory reset the phone etc as directed but still makes no difference.

However in August 2021 the network states "RTC damage to phone mask and repairs are ongoing". o2 have given me a few £10 gestures.

Start of November it states its fixed however its no difference.

I popped into o2 shop and both staff, one on iphone and one S21 done a speed test and had the exact same issue. 

Any ideas how to progress? The My 02 chat app is getting no-where fast as i keep asking as to what the fault is and that its breaching contract as its been 6 months and they say "just bear with us it will be fixed soon"...

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@tnpmonkey 

First of all there is no breach of contract as o2 are providing mobile data and voice and text services and as per the T&C's, just at a slow speed. 

You are covered on Park Street by the Mast between Queen Street and the A256 and o2 are probably awaiting your local council to allow them to dig up the A256 and Queen Street to put in new fibre backhauls to the network, as Microwave backhauls wont work in such a built up area, in order to increase speed or may have installed a temporary mast whilst waiting for a new mast and infrastructure to be installed, this isn't a quick process (this is all conjecture). 

Also it depends on how many people are using Mobile Data in the local area. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@tnpmonkey 

First of all there is no breach of contract as o2 are providing mobile data and voice and text services and as per the T&C's, just at a slow speed. 

You are covered on Park Street by the Mast between Queen Street and the A256 and o2 are probably awaiting your local council to allow them to dig up the A256 and Queen Street to put in new fibre backhauls to the network, as Microwave backhauls wont work in such a built up area, in order to increase speed or may have installed a temporary mast whilst waiting for a new mast and infrastructure to be installed, this isn't a quick process (this is all conjecture). 

Also it depends on how many people are using Mobile Data in the local area. 

Message 2 of 5

tnpmonkey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Providing it at such a slow speed that you cannot use it...not exactly what people sign up for. And for nearly 9 months? 

Its CT161DJ in Dover where the issues are. The mast you say is in Deal, does that cover Dover too?

The o2 support stated it was RTC damage and they are repairing it for 2 months then changed it to "we have just got permission from the land owner to fix it" which obviously means that they were not fixing it 😕

As it took 3 months to get land owner permission.

Is there a way of actually seeing the mast coverage for CT161DJ and why its so slow? Even the o2 shop staff could not believe how slow and for how many months.

I obviously don't want to pay for something that is not usable. 

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@tnpmonkey 

If the mast is on private land they need to get permission to fix it still, even if hit in a RTC.

Yes its on a website called cellmapper.net, and i put in your post code and that is what came up, for the nearest mast

Also bare in mind its based on computation AI Data using data from users. 

Best thing to do, it pay off your contract get some payg sims from other networks and test network speeds then port out. 

Message 4 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely time to change networks

As said, try some free sims for best coverage

There is no acceptable reason to stay with O2 given the poor service

Message 5 of 5