Pixel 5 WiFi calling

sgbea13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

This is really confusing me. 

I want to get a Pixel 5 on O2 but I need WiFi calling to work on it. Some questions...

1. Does WiFi calling work on O2 with this handset?

2. If yes, do I HAVE to buy the phone from O2 for it to work? Can I instead buy the phone from Google and get a SIM-only deal with O2 and do it that way?

3. If O2 don't support WiFi calling on the Pixel 5, why not?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@sgbea13 

According to the list here https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

only the 

• Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL are supported currently.

It may work, now or in the future, but as of now, the official answer is no, sorry.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@sgbea13 

According to the list here https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

only the 

• Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL are supported currently.

It may work, now or in the future, but as of now, the official answer is no, sorry.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

sgbea13
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Understood, thank you. 

Hypothetically, if I bought, for example, a Pixel 3a SIM free from Google directly and put an O2 sim inside, would the Wifi calling work or does it require O2 firmware?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@sgbea13 

It would work OK in that scenario.

O2 firmware is not required.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

sgbea13
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your prompt responses. Just one more question and then I'll leave you alone tongue_winking

Is it standard that any SIM free phone will provide O2 WiFi calling, now and in future, without the need for O2 firmware, providing they are on the list that you linked me to? I once bought a SIM free Galaxy S7 and put my Three contract SIM inside only to find that WiFi calling doesn't work unless you bought the phone from Three (i.e. with their firmware installed.)

Thanks in advance. 

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@sgbea13 

Very few specifically require O2 firmware now but those marked on the list with * are the only ones.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6