Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On holiday in greece

Markft
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, we were on holiday in kos, whilst there unknown to us our daughters phone clicked into the turkey network. She used 50mb of data and we have been charged an extra £45. I am not happy as we were in greece not turkey and were on the greek network all the other days in same resort. 

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Markft 

Unfortunately if the phone is left in Auto Network settings it will log on to whatever the phone detects as the strongest signal, and if that is one of the Turkish network it will connect. The only way to stop this is to manually connect to a Greek Network, and turn off Automatic Network Connection. 

This also happens on the US / Canadian border, the Irish Borders....

I am afraid you are liable for the charges. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Markft 

Unfortunately if the phone is left in Auto Network settings it will log on to whatever the phone detects as the strongest signal, and if that is one of the Turkish network it will connect. The only way to stop this is to manually connect to a Greek Network, and turn off Automatic Network Connection. 

This also happens on the US / Canadian border, the Irish Borders....

I am afraid you are liable for the charges. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Markft 

More information

Accidental roaming (sometimes known as inadvertent roaming) might occur if you are in an area close to national borders because your phone picks up the network across the border. If this happens, you may be charged as though you were roaming on the network across the border. You can prevent this if you live near a national border by setting your handset to do a manual network selection (as opposed to an automatic network selection) and select the O2 network. This way if you lose the O2 network your handset will not automatically try to connect you to an alternate network. For advice, please visit your nearest O2 store.

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3