Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Wifi calling works only intermittently

ScottishJag
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can anyone help with advice on how to get 02 WiFi calling to be more reliable? What are the best configuration settings to have on the iPhone13 to get it to work reliably? 

I have an iPhone13 on which O2 Wifi calling works only intermittently. My wife also has an iPhone13 (on Vodaphone) on which WiFi calling works very reliably.  We both use the same home wifi network (Netgear Orbi mesh system). 

O2 WiFi Calling on my iPhone13 seems to disconnect randomly and then won't work at all.  I often have to do many actions to get it working again e.g. switch off the phone or remove the SIM and replace it or switch to airplane mode and back to normal etc etc.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6621 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Try switching your WiFi Calling to WiFi preferred rather than network preferred 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

ScottishJag
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Dear Enlli, thank you for your interesting suggestion. 

Where in the iPhone13 settings can I find the option to switch from "network preferred" to "WiFi preferred"? I've looked in the WiFi Calling section in settings and there is only the option to switch "WiFi Calling" on or off - unfortunately, I can't see any options for "WiFi preferred" or "network preferred". 

Message 3 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6621 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Just looking round it may not be a feature of iPhones, sorry.

Remember WiFi Calling will only show when the phone signal degrades to a pre determined level.

A test is to put the phone into aeroplane mode and then turn on just WiFi. If its working it should kick in and stay until you exit aeroplane mode 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 7

ScottishJag
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply, I tried your suggestion but it's still not working. As you instructed, I put it into airplane mode and then turned on WiFi only but WiFi Calling still doesn't work. 

Surprisingly, "O2 WiFi Calling" had been working okay for most of this afternoon but it's stopped now.  It seems to definitely need to detect an "O2-UK" mobile network signal before it is able to switch to "O2 WiFi Call".  Sometimes it just displays "O2-UK" for ages on the home screen but I still can't make or receive calls until the iPhone13 decides to switch into "O2 WiFi Call".  I don't know what triggers it to switch over to "O2 WiFi Call".  What decides the pre-determined "O2-UK" signal strength level before it switches over to "O2 WiFi Call"? 

Message 5 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@ScottishJag Did O2 enable WiFi calling for you on their end? If not you'll need to speak to customer service.

Call 202 from your mobile or 0344 809 0202, 0800 902 0217 or 0800 032 1402
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Upgrade', 'Lost/Stolen', or 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am.
You can also reach O2 via social media:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 7

MikeyT
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

iPhone are not stable on 5 Ghz WiFi so try connecting to your 2.4Ghz wifi and see if that improves your wifi calling connection. You might need to change the settings in your Orbi so you can force a 2.4Ghz connection. 

Message 7 of 7