cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port-in form is confusing, which number does the 1st page want?

dave559
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just joined O2 and want to port in my existing mobile number from my old network.

I have found the port-in form (not the easiest thing to find itself, even though it is likely to be one of the first things that an incoming customer is going to want to do):

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number/online-form

However, the wording of the form is rather confusing:

The third field is "Your mobile number*": does this mean the number that I want to port in (my number from my old network), or does it mean my new (temporary) O2 number and the form will then ask for the number that I want to port in (to replace the O2 number) on the next page of the form?

(As a web developer, I would note that a form such as this should really have tool-tip help for each form field in case of any ambiguity, and should also have undergone usability testing as part of the development process, which would have flagged up where the process could be confusing or misleading.)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123063 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @dave559 

It's the number you want to Port IN (your number from the other network) as that will be the number you want to keep.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum 😉

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

dave559
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your advice.

It turns out (if it helps anyone else) that, after filling in the form, it has 3 pages:

1. I don't know if it actually makes any difference which number you give on page 1?
  2. The second page requests characters from your password.
  3. The third page has fields (that are at least clearly labelled) asking you what is the number than you want to keep (port in) and which is your O2 number (that will be replaced), so at least there is no ambiguity on that page.

I do think the form could do with being reworked to make it clearer, though!

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@dave559 

The number on the first page is just a contact number, if needed, it can be any number you want including a landline.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

dave559
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, thanks, I realised that after filling in all of the parts of the form, but it's not very obvious at first look which phone number is being asked for there and why, at that stage of the form.

It really is a very badly designed form: it's easy to get worried that you might fill in the wrong number in the wrong place and then inadvertently lose the phone number that you have had for years and years! 😢

(And, other than the web acknowledgement of having submitted the form, I haven't yet received any further acknowledgement by email or text to confirm that the port-in request has been received. Is this just the usual sort of communications incompetence that all mobile phone companies seem to excel at (it's not as if communication is their entire business, or anything…), or should I phone up to check that nothing has gone wrong? (I realise that the actual number port won't take place until tomorrow, assuming, of course, that all is working as expected.))

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions

@dave559 

You should receive a confirmation text to the number you are keeping.

If not, chase up with O2.

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this or numbers to call on here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

dave559
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, yes, I eventually received a confirmation text earlier. It just wasn't particularly prompt!

Message 7 of 9

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @dave559 , we appreciate your feedback about the form, it’s indeed a little bit confusing and O2 is already working to improve it. That’s why I went to check about your first question, and the third field on the first page of the form is actually destined to be filled with the temporary number of the O2 account, as you’ve initially guessed as one of the possible choices.

Hope that helps slight_smile

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123063 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Thanks for that info @RafaC and @dave559. Hopefully the form will have a better design in future and give clarification to the customer.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9