Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi on London Underground - ported number from Three

p-zilla
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been trying to connect to the Virgin Mdia Wifi on the London Underground.

I get the following message

"To use Wifi on the Underground you need to be on 02 and registered with 02 Wifi. We'll send you a text with more info on how"

I never receive the text.

Quick look on the help page just showed this:

If you registered for O2 Wifi using a number from another network, then you won't be able to use Wifi on the Underground from O2

I kept my old number from Three when I switched 2 o2, so I guess this is the reason why.

Is there nothing that can be done about this?

Seems odd...It's a bit of a deal breaker for me and I may have to switch providers if I cant use the wifi on the underground.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10275 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3022 Solutions

@p-zilla 

The TFL Wifi Is garbage and been run down by Virgin Media, as 4G is coming to the underground, Hence Vodafone have already killed off access to the service, and think EE will be next. 

The problem will be that the number is still registered to 3 on the WiFi Access Servers, as they havent removed it (and probably never will).. 

I would give o2 a call, and see if they can get VMB to remove the number from the Access Server, and then  you should be able to re-register... 

O2 FAQ's here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-on-the-underground

Your other option is delete your 3 account:  https://www.three.co.uk/support/device-support/free-wifi-on-london-underground 

Also note if you are outside the 14 day change of mind policy then you will have to pay off your contract in full, also be very aware you will probably have the same problem with any network that provides WiFi on the tube. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 5

p-zilla
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I switched over a year ago. I'll try to connect with the 3 link next time and see if that works.

Booked a call back with o2 as well.

Message 3 of 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6777 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1514 Solutions

Something is afoot. Virgin have removed the ability to use their hotspots (TFL and all others) from anyone signing up to them since December last year. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10275 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3022 Solutions

@Enlli 

VMB are being aloof when you ask them anything about it, in side conversations, so agree think something is afoot...

Bare in mind VMo2 will be putting in infrastructure for 4G in the tunnels as well.. 

Added to the fact VM gave up properly managing the services years ago... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 5