Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data on 3G (When in a 4G area!)

congo181
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was with O2 for the longest of times, but swapped over to EE for two years when I got my last iPhone. However, I didn’t get as great service so in November last year I moved back to O2 when I purchased my iPhone 14 Pro Max.

The transition wasn’t smooth at all, as although I’d provided the PAC code to O2 and from O2’s side the port has been completed, I was able to make calls on my existing number on both networks at the same time. EE had no record of the port taking place! After a week of calls between EE and O2 I finally got the port fully completed but it took a few levels up in tech support to get this working, and a few resets of network settings from my iPhone.

However, since then I had noticed that I could receive mobile data on 5G and 4G, however when my phone showed as having 3G, I could get absolutely no data.

O2 have checked all of the areas (several times) where I have been getting this 3G signal, and they say that the masts are all working fine but there is no reason I should be getting 3G as it is excellent for 4G signal throughout. I have tried this outdoors, I have tried it without the case, I have restated the iPhone, but still I am stuck without any data when my phone shows as 3G signal.

I contacted Apple Support and went through several levels of diagnostics to check if the phone was the problem. They have gone through senior tech advisor steps which have included removing any vpn’s, resetting iPhone, setting iPhone up as a new iPhone, reset network settings (several times!), tried selecting the network rather than automatic network selection. All of this has concluded that that the phone is functioning properly but the network being the issue.

With O2 I have swapped the SIM for a new one in the O2 store, spoken to customer services who checked there are no data bars on the account. The only advise they could give is to send the phone to them to check, but I can’t be without my phone as I use it for work as well as personal matters.

I am at my wits end with this issue. As I said, fine on 4G and 5G but on 3G (in different areas of the country) I literally get nothing. It doesn’t matter if it’s Safari, Waze, Siri, any other apps that require internet. It has been a real problem, and please can someone from O2 support help me out with this. I need to reply on my phone for work and personal use, but find myself being stuck in a data hole right now. I believe that the problems I had when the port was not done smoothly to start might be a problem, but can’t get through to senior tech support at O2.

I had really high respect for O2 but this has put me wanting to change network again, which I can’t do until my contract ends in a year and a half! 😞

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Why, if in the UK, do you want to use 3G when you have working 4G and 5G, @congo181?

Message 2 of 13

congo181
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That’s the problem. I have a 5G contract with O2, and in areas where I should be getting at least 4G, it only shows up as 3G on my phone (and I can’t access and mobile data).

I don’t chose to have 3G, I want the 4G and 5G that my contract comes with.

Message 3 of 13

pgn
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

You may benefit from adjusting or resetting your iPhone network/APN settings, @congo181 - having come back from EE to O2: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201699

See if that helps.

More info on Apple and APNs here if you need them: 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/APN-Settings-What-When/m-p/1573649/highlig...

Message 4 of 13

congo181
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the message @pgn but I’ve tried resetting and also changing the apn to mobile.o2.co.uk but still have the same issue of no data and my phone showing 3G even in several what should be 4G/5G areas.

Message 5 of 13

pgn
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

I know Apple gave given your phone a check and say all is cool. However:

https://youtu.be/Zq8s0yT_JXM

may let you cross-check.

Also do you have the same signal issues with a different O2 SIM in your phone? Perplexing - if not a phone antenna issue, or a local mast issue, then an O2 account issue... O2 have set you up for 5G on your account, I assume? O2 Social Media Team links below if you need to ask them, @congo181.

Message 6 of 13

congo181
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help. I wasn’t able to do a field test using the instructions in the video (may be because I’m in the UK?

I have tried the O2 SIM in my sons iPhone and it works ok on 3G/4G/5G. I also tried his Vodafone SIM card in my iPhone 14 Pro Max and I can get 3G, 4G and 5G on this and works ok. I don’t have a second O2 SIM in the house so can’t try.

I am on a 5G contract and get 5G fine, and 4G fine. It’s just when it shows as 3G that I get no data at all. Quite strange. Any other help? I have messaged O2 on the socials so will see what they say too. It’s been 8 months of this problem now 😞

Message 7 of 13

Andy40
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you aren't getting the service you paid for you should be able to leave as 02 are not delivering on their side of the contract.

Message 8 of 13

pgn
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions
Message 9 of 13

pgn
  • 36005 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

@Andy40 wrote:

If you aren't getting the service you paid for you should be able to leave as 02 are not delivering on their side of the contract.

3G is being decommissioned globally - O2 has not committed yet, but other UK networks have started.

Europe status below, for info, rest of world is left as an exercise for the reader, @Andy40.

1000004118.png

Perhaps Apple have already removed this functionality from the latest iPhones?

Message 10 of 13