Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Coverage issue

Joe16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am moving to an area where there is no O2 network coverage.  I have walked around the village and can find no signal anywhere.  I have heard about devices which allow you to create your own small coverage area either by boosting any signal which can be picked up by a roof-mounted aerial or by an internet connected device.  Both sound as if they have pros and cons.  Does anyone have any experience of these devices - or in fact any information at all about them?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

They are called Boost Boxes, but they are only available to business customers @Joe16 

Depending on your phone make/model (and software) you can use WiFi calling in areas with no signal

o2 have a help page set up for this:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

As long as your phone is on the list, you should be fine.

o2 need to add it to your account, then you turn it on in your My o2 and finally turn it on for your phone.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

They are called Boost Boxes, but they are only available to business customers @Joe16 

Depending on your phone make/model (and software) you can use WiFi calling in areas with no signal

o2 have a help page set up for this:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

As long as your phone is on the list, you should be fine.

o2 need to add it to your account, then you turn it on in your My o2 and finally turn it on for your phone.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 5

Joe16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the info.  The term "Boost Box" has enabled me to find out a bit more.  It does appear only on the business web pages, but at the same time it says "O2 Boostbox uses your broadband router to give network and 3G coverage to your home or office".  So it's not clear and I can only find very basic information about it.  I had more luck with the aerial booster, which works with any network and costs around £350.  You put a high gain aerial on the roof or somewhere, pointing at the nearest mast.  This is connected to a box of tricks and then to a ceiling mounted aerial which relays a good signal strength over an area of about 600 sq m.  The big BUT is that it does of course need some signal at the external aerial location, even if it's pretty weak.

I'll keep on digging, but once again, if anyone has experience of these things, I'd be most interested to hear from them.

By the way, I already use WiFi calling where I live now and it works very well for phone calls, so that is a good partial solution.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Joe16 

Have a look on ISP Review (https://ispreview.co.uk) and in the forums they talk about external aerials to improve signal. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Joe16 Might also be worth your while to get Pay & Go sims from the other networks and test whether you can get coverage from any of them. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5