cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Network Speeds Unacceptable/Appalling - What to do?

EffectOne
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all. I am at the end of my tether with this one.

I switched from Three to O2 relatively recently (some of you were kind enough to suggest solutions to a number porting issue I was having at the time, thank you).  I would have stayed with Three but for their decision to discontinue inclusive EU/other destination data roaming, which I need for work and travel.  Anyway...my expectation was that mobile networks are probably all pretty much similar these days in terms of network capability.  I have a 5G O2 pay monthly sim with a 30GB data allowance.

With Three, in the room I am currently sitting, I got a 3/5 bars 5G connection and connection speeds well in excess of 70/80mbps as a minimum when working/streaming videos/whatever.  With O2, my phone in the same spot, I get a 4/5 bars 4G connection.  Fine, there's probably not an O2 mast as close as a Three mast offering 5G?  But it is still a decent 4G connection, right?  So I should be getting around 20-30mbps at least as a conservative expectation, easily enough to comfortably work or watch videos with?  I am currently enjoying a 0.54mbps download speed which makes even simple internet browsing painful.

Is this normal?  Since switching to O2, I don't think I have ever seen a 5G connection on my phone (S22 Ultra, if that matters, with 5G turned on in network modes).  The mobile connection speeds I experience with O2 are less than appalling, whether tethering to my laptop or using my phone directly.

I can accept that no operator is going to be able to give you signal in the bowels of a large supermarket when half-way down the milk aisle.  However, the other day, I had a full signal 4G connection and couldn't look something up on my phone because despite that I was supposedly not connected to the internet.  It is not the first time that has happened (far more regularly than I would like) and it did not ever happen with my previous network operator.  I live in Redhill, Surrey, a few miles South of London in a reasonably built-up area, and am currently sat close to Gatwick airport, so not exactly in the centre of the Cotswolds or Brecon Beacons.  O2's network checker says the coverage where I am currently sitting is: "Seemless connectivity and mobile internet. Good indoors and outdoors.  Good for mobile broadband."

Are there any tips out there for improving network speed?  Is O2 throttling my connection for some reason?  How can I find out if that is the case?  If this is just normal for O2, what are my options for cancelling this contract for being not fit for purpose and moving to a different operator?

Thanks for any assistance provided and apologies for the exasperated tone.  That said, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect even mediocre performance out of a network operator in 2022.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35995 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

There is a fairly good summary of the troubleshooting steps here, @EffectOne - https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Poor-4g-speeds/m-p/1591381/highlight/true#M28163

And someone experiencing symptoms as yours eliminated item by item until it was determined his phone was the issue - an iPhone, as I recall, but one Apple Repair later and speeds were comparable to those of other mobile operators in the vicinity. Will dig it out and link fyi. 

Edited to ad in thread where phone was the faulty component inhibiting speed off service: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Data-runs-slow/m-p/1592100/highlight/true#M28225

Good luck!

Message 2 of 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6615 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Do go through the checks as per @pgn 

However, be aware that in many places O2 struggles with regards to data speeds.

See if anyone else near you has problems O2, Giffgaff, Tesco and Sky all use O2 signal, so someone on one of those networks should give you a comparison.

See also what 

https://status.o2.co.uk/ gives you

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 6

woodmj
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 55 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you're getting an OK signal but little speed chances are you're in an O2/Voda 4G800 area.

4G800 is great for covering large areas, filling in not-spots and giving you indoor service for calls and basic Web browsing but it's not going to give you much in the way of speed. If you're in a congested area too (as is here) you're probably going to get speeds of <=1Mbps during peak times, even no service at all sometimes.

If you were getting good indoor 5G service from your previous provider I would have stuck with that tbh. 5G is a myth around here 😉

Message 4 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35995 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Having lived with permanent congestion from about 13:00 every afternoon for several months, I found a good way to get speeds back to something approaching useable in the afternoon was to switch the phone down from 4G to 3G/2G - my download speed increased from <500kbps to 12Mbps, give-or-take. I guess all those big iPhones and Samsungs, grabbing onto the 4G signal, were sucking the local cell's data feed(s) dry!

O2 upgraded the mast provision in the area after that incident, no issue since. Daily reports using the My Network App was possibly a help...

Message 5 of 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6615 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Where I live switching to 3G makes very little difference to the download speed, but last test showed upload to be just 2kbs! My 4G latency is appalling. I suspect the backhaul is just not up to the job.

I find it interesting that O2 is the only UK networks not to give a closure date for 3G

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 6