Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location services not working

Chucklebus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After a couple of months tearing my hair out and getting unhelpful responses from O2 I spoke to someone today who fixed my problem. A while back I accidentally removed age verification from my kids phones and couldn’t re-enable it. I called O2 and they re-enabled it. However I noticed shortly afterwards that iPhone ‘find my phone’ and Life360 wouldn’t locate my kids phones. I asked O2 through the support chat and they said there was no relationship between age verification and location services, and told me the phone settings must be wrong. After a trip to the Apple shop and a full reset, I proved it had nothing to do with the phone. I spoke to an O2 agent again today and asked them to remove age restrictions to prove it, which they did and hey presto it now works. So, O2, there definitely is a relationship between age restrictions and location services at an account configuration level. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

That's an interesting discovery, @Chucklebus - I'll tag in the board admins to see if there is anything further O2 can provide in this regard.  It could be that the O2 filters applied to prevent access to nefarious websites when the age verification blocks are in place need a little tweak. (I had a similar thing with Virgin Media child controls some years back, VM advice was to remove child controls to make the website work - shock approach! - turns out it was a particular setting on the Website that had to be adjusted, eBay from memory).

Thanks for coming back with this finding - and @Martin-O2 or @RafaC or @lewys-gp: can you put this on your list for the next chat with the O2 tech team, please?

Unblocking age verification on a minor's phone, to re-enable phone location functionality, sounds like a sledgehammer approach.

Message 2 of 15

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @pgn thanks for tagging us, we'll flag this one over to O2.

@Chucklebus are you able to use other apps that use location services (such as Google/Apple Maps)? Is the location reported correctly when using those apps on the devices with age restriction enabled?

Message 3 of 15

Chucklebus
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same problem again! Parental controls stops Apple ‘find my’ and Life360 working. Take controls off and it works again. I don’t want my kids looking at adult material, but I do want to know where they are. Ridiculous!

Message 4 of 15

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m so glad I found this thread! I’m having similar issues with my daughter's iPhone. I’ve had to remove all the restrictions to see if it works. Oddly, my son's iPhone has restrictions and is working without issues. They have the exact same model of phone.

It’s a shame that this is still happening 1-2 years since this thread.

Yesterday I reluctantly removed her spend cap to see if that works. I’ll see today.

Message 5 of 15

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6260 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

@Randomloginname Thanks

Please let us know

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 15

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It hasn’t worked. I’m on the O2 app chat with support. O2 appear to not keep notes of previous conversations so every time I have to start the whole process over again. After telling support I’ve spoken to a senior Apple technician and performed all possible steps she told me to try restarting the phone 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Message 7 of 15

Enlli
  • 6260 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

Interesting.

Are you able to beg steal or borrow a SIM from another network to see what happens?

If all is OK then things definitely point to O2 but why that would be the case I'm not sure 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 15

Randomloginname
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have tried this and the issue is definitely with my daughter's SIM card. I’m waiting the 8 weeks necessary to contact ofcom as O2’s customer service is nonexistent.

Message 9 of 15

Enlli
  • 6260 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

OFCOM will be of no use

You need Resolver 

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/o2-complaints?territory_id=5

Or

https://www.commsombudsman.org/

Message 10 of 15