Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent signal

Beppe6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, for several years I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S9 with a O2 SIM card on contract.

For a long time (possibly from the start) I've had an intermittent signal (both voice and data) at home (North Oxford).

According to the O2 network coverage checker, there shouldn't be any problem at all in this area with up to G4 (whereas G5 is not active); and every time I checked, the service status page said everything was ok for my postcode.

In practice, quite often (about once a day) if I check the phone by pressing the power button it says "Emergency calls only"; at that point, if I press "Flight Mode" twice (i.e. on/off), the signal returns. Not very strong, but it works... only for a while.

Same thing if I switch the handset off/on (but of course it takes longer).

I'm not an intensive mobile user, but the most annoying thing is that I'm never certain that my phone will have coverage when someone calls. And I can't understand why not. There are no tall buildings or other obstructions, and it happens even when the weather is fine (like today).

What can be done? 

And - as a temporary measure - is there an app that warns you when there is no coverage? The "Emergency only" message only appears on the locked screen when you press the power button, so most of the time I'm not even aware that my phone is disconnected. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23106 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@Beppe6 It might just be as simple as a faulty sim. If you have an O2 store nearby they can issue you with a new one. Be sure to bring ID with you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 11