Did you mean: 

IP wrong location

Ncls
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

I’ve looked online for answers for sometime now but still don’t know why this is happening when I am using mobile data. When I set location services and precise location to on and take off hide my IP from trackers in safari settings and allow safari to know my location it still says the wrong city that is not the closest city to my location. Did this after resetting iPhone to factory settings also. On both Instagram and Facebook which use your devices GPS coordinates which are more accurate than network location alone, I allow them to know my location and they both have that same city as my location or it will randomly change to one other city which is still not the closest city to me. First city is 172 miles away and second is 191 miles from me. On the 02 app it does the same. I have tried reset network and tried the SIM card in another iPhone and same behaviour. Without moving location from my home it showed my location being at other end of the country last week. When contacting 02 can they tell you where they have your public IP location showing up on their side? I do not use a VPN and do not have apple private relay. 

Many thanks 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122982 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Ncls 

We're just customers like you but it sounds as if you need someone to access your account which can't be done from here.

Give O2 a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (Contract) OR 4445 or 0344 809 222 (PAYG)

Or you can message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG), hopefully they should be able to help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Ncls 

The reason why mobile data only location is so far out is due to where the internet break out is, so for o2 it can be any location where the POP is and o2 wont be able to tell you anything and definitely not customer services. 

o2 CS wont see your IP address, as its behind a NAT as part of CGNAT and if they can it will be an Internal IP address. 

All ISP's always give the location as your where the local POP is and that can be someone in Bristol connecting to a POP in Birmingham.. and someone in Leeds can be seen as someone in Hull.

Masts are not POP's.

POP = Point of Presence aka Internet Breakout..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144439 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Ncls 

Location services should only use GPS, not cell towers, and the signal from satellites can be degraded in many ways.

One of the most common is not having the correct date and time set in the phone settings.

Also, your location can block the line of sight if you are in a densely built up area or a mountainous region foe example.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Ncls
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for letting me know it’s much appreciated. 

Message 5 of 7

Ncls
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the explanation and for the time taken to go over this. It’s much appreciated.

I will read up on POP’s. 

Message 6 of 7

Ncls
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there 

thanks for responding. I will contact 02 as I don’t live in a built up area and my date and time are correct. Thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 7