Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMessage And Text Message after Number Port

Newbeetler
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Number was ported over this morning. After resetting network settings etc I have managed to get the phone recognising the number ported but it is failing to activate Imessage.

Can not send Imessage or SMS which is critical at the moment as I support disabled family members who only contact via Imessage/SMS. 

Anyone come across a quick fix before I take a run to the O2 shop. Need to try and get resolved as I'll be nipping in between drop off and pick up of the family members who I need the message contact for. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12148 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1129 Solutions

SMS should work fine @Newbeetler , but for iMessage you would need to update your phone with the "new" number.

Try Settings>Phone>My number (or similar). Edit the number, save and restart your phone.

Not sure if this would cause it, but you might also want to ensure customer services have you on the iData - meaning o2 knows you are using an iPhone.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 22

Newbeetler
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. 

I checked number and it was showing the old number on the Sim. That changed when I reset the network settings so no problem there now. Thats why I can now make phone calls. 

SMS is not coming through or being sent and Imessage just shows trying to activate. 

Its SMS not working as well which has perplexed me as I could have just sent a SMS message out and family could still contact me through that. 

At the moment I am having to consider teaching them Whatsapp in the short term lol. 

Message 3 of 22

gmarkj
  • 12148 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1129 Solutions

Have you checked the message centre number is correct @Newbeetler ?

Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 4 of 22

Newbeetler
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj Can't see how to check that.

Quick google showing *#5005*7672# gives error message Error performing request Unknown Error

Message 5 of 22

gmarkj
  • 12148 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1129 Solutions

I can see the settings, but not sure how to change them on my Oppo @Newbeetler .

https://www.techtarget.com/searchmobilecomputing/definition/short-message-service-center tells me how you should be able to do it, but doesn't work. The *# doesn't work as nothing happens.

Any clues @MI5 ?

Message 6 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145067 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@Newbeetler @gmarkj 

SMS is the last thing to come online after a port.

I'd suggest rebooting the phone every 30 mins and check the status of iMessage and sms each time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 22

Newbeetler
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I will continue to do that. Fingers crossed its soon. Already missed some important messages. D'oh. 

Message 8 of 22

Newbeetler
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So the plot thickens. 

Currently Carried out 

* Numerous network setting resets

* Numerous restarts

* 3 hours in the O2 shop and a Sim Swap

* Back to customer services to confirm IData works

* Sim in old Iphone 5s Imessage activates

* Sim back in current 13 spinning disk

* Apple say to leave 24 hours

* Overnight message Imessage Activation Unsuccessful

* Now when toggle Imessage switch get "An Error Occurred during Activation"

Apple Say account fine. O2 say account fine

Iphone say No. 

Any hints on where a user in limbo should go next?

Message 9 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145067 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@Newbeetler 

Interesting......

Seems to indicate a setting on your iPhone needs adjusting somewhere.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 22