cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to buy a new phone and airtime on contract, would I be able to keep my old number?

MaryMoonxo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm looking into buying an iPhone 8 on contract with 5gb data (it's currently in my basket) would I be able to keep my old number (it is already an o2 number) 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MaryMoonxo 

If you were on PAYG before you will be sent a new sim as contract sims are different.

Fill in the keep my number form. You'll need your temporary Pay Monthly number from your O2 confirmation email or sim pack. We’ll transfer your number within one working day (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, excluding bank holidays). If we receive your code after 5pm, you’ll switch within two working days.

On the day of the switch, your Pay As You Go sim will lose signal. When this happens, put your Pay Monthly sim in your phone. If you don't have signal, switch your phone off and on every couple of hours until you get a signal. If you still don't have signal by 6pm, contact us.

Texts and picture messaging can take up to 24 hours to work after the switch.

If your Pay As You Go balance is under £350, it will be transferred to your Pay Monthly account when you receive your second bill. If you're entitled to a loyalty bonus, up to £550, we'll add credit to your fourth bill.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number 

NB edited post to reflect op was on PAYG.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MaryMoonxo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I also have rewards and I'm not sure if I can apply them to the upfront price of the phone 

Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MaryMoonxo 

If you were on PAYG before you will be sent a new sim as contract sims are different.

Fill in the keep my number form. You'll need your temporary Pay Monthly number from your O2 confirmation email or sim pack. We’ll transfer your number within one working day (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, excluding bank holidays). If we receive your code after 5pm, you’ll switch within two working days.

On the day of the switch, your Pay As You Go sim will lose signal. When this happens, put your Pay Monthly sim in your phone. If you don't have signal, switch your phone off and on every couple of hours until you get a signal. If you still don't have signal by 6pm, contact us.

If your Pay As You Go balance is under £350, it will be transferred to your Pay Monthly account when you receive your second bill. If you're entitled to a loyalty bonus, up to £550, we'll add credit to your fourth bill.

NB edited post to reflect op was on PAYG.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

MaryMoonxo
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How do I upgrade I can't find the option to 

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MaryMoonxo 

As long as you have chosen the upgrade option, your number will remain the same.

You can continue to use your old sim with the new phone.

Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MaryMoonxo 

I've edited my post above as you then told us you were PAYG which wasn't evident in your first post.

Check out my edited post above

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

MaryMoonxo
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, thanks a lot... Do I fill in the form now with my current phone model or do I wait until I receive the new phone and fill it in using them details?

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MaryMoonxo 

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MaryMoonxo 

You can do it anytime although probably better to make sure the phone is in stock and you get your temporary number from O2 first. Nothing is actioned over the weekend anyway.

Edited to add if you want to check all is in order you would be better giving O2 a call about 8am tomorrow Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7