cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out when a known Mast issue is likely to be resolved?

DanielCoffey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The situation is that one of the local masts in my area shows a known fault that is being worked on. It has been known to be faulty for over a week and I have asked to be notified by email when it is fixed but it is just dragging on and on with no status updates. I am interested in knowing how much longer I will be receiving reduced service because it also affects my Community Alarm device for a disabled occupant too.

Mast location from MastData : Mobile Mast 29664 - MAYFIELD COALHALL AYR

While there are two masts technically serving my local area, the nearest is over a hill so I am in shadow. The other is about a mile away and supplies both a 3G and 4G signal. I am behind houses and also over the crest of a hill so I normally receive a 2-bar 4G signal or a 3-bar 3G signal outdoors. Indoors I receive a 1-bar 4G that drops to a 2-bar 3G on occasion.

Since this fault started about a week ago, the signal strength has been much lower while the mast is being worked on. I get no 4G indoors or out and only get 1-bar of 3G if outdoors. My iPhone is reporting 80% of its battery usage is atributed to "Low signal strength".

We rely on a Council-supplied Community Alarm unit that is 3G/4G instead of landline which we no longer have. This is hardwired to stridently announce every 30 seconds "No cellular network signal" so that you know you cannot contact the Call Centre. You cannot unplug it as it then complains that there is no mains power as well. It yells about the low signal all night if you let it. At the moment it is living in the garage which scrapes up enough 3G to satisfy it but defeats the purpose of having an in-home alarm.

What is the process for asking for an estimate when a mast fault will be resolved?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

You won't find out as the ETA will depend on a multitude of factors. The mast in question may also be joint owned with another network responsible for maintenance and the repair is likely to be done by contractors.

Only thing you can do is download the My Network App and register for updates

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

You won't find out as the ETA will depend on a multitude of factors. The mast in question may also be joint owned with another network responsible for maintenance and the repair is likely to be done by contractors.

Only thing you can do is download the My Network App and register for updates

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 8

DanielCoffey
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - I have already ticked the "Tell Me..." bit of the Network Status page so it will do for now. I suspected it would be an issue for multiple suppliers as the mast covers such a broad area.

One solution for not being able to use the Community Alarm for a bit longer is to tell a neighbour if I am having to go out of the house. They could check in on my partner if I have not sent a "I am back" message after an agreed time. We could pass the problem on to the Community Alarm team to enquire about the mast issue as a commercial customer but that is like being the kid in the back chanting "Are we there yet?". It will be fixed when it is fixed.

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23101 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@DanielCoffey If your signal is as poor as that you should either get Pay & Go sims from the other networks to see if they can provide a better signal. Or, taking the location of masts in your area into consideration, think seriously about getting a landline based alarm system which would be infinitely more reliable. If an alarm system is an absolute must, you really shouldn't be relying on a cellular network.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

DanielCoffey
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sadly there are only the two masts here. One is totally obstructed by a hill and the other is just over the crest of another. We have struggled with this for ages beforfe picking O2. My network is O2 (no idea about the alarm system but it has to be one of the big four).

As for the landline we actually let it go for cost and speed reasons almost a year ago once FTTP arrived here. Broadband was down below 4Mbps down, 0.8 up due to distance from the cabinet (3.5km). One of us is disabled, the other is an unpaid carer.

The Community Alarm has a connector for an external antenna but it is disconnected in the locked firmware. It also has an ethernet connection to allow it to be connected to a router but the domestic version of the alarm has that locked out in firmware again. We did discuss it with the engineeer when it was given to us.

Normally (99%+) it is fine but this week long outage has been a bit of a struggle and frustrating when we do not know if it will be just a few more days or if it will be weeks or even longer.

I also don't know if my iPhone which uses O2 Wifi Calling when at home has been missing inbound calls as I think they have to come in over the 4G before transferring to the wifi.

Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23101 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@DanielCoffey WiFi calling has to be enabled by O2 on their end before you can use it. You need to contact O2, if you haven't done so already: Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

DanielCoffey
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I have just had an automatic update to the issue I have been watching with the main mast at Coalhall, Ayrshire...

"Just to let you know we're still working hard to fix your issue. We'll have an update for you in seven days, or sooner if it is fixed."

This mast serves one small town and about half a dozen large villages. To have it running on low power affects quite a lot of people and results in issues like this...

BatteryPercent.jpg

Message 7 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@DanielCoffey 

Might be worth the local communities banding together and looking at the likes of B4RN or asking the Scottish Government about any schemes they have to improve Network both fixed line and mobile in rural communities

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 8