Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting reconnected after O2 disconnected account without my consent

Jon_SE22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have rung the O2 UK helpline several times regarding this issue.  Each time (after several long waits on hold) I am told it has been escalated as a priority and someone will ring me back.  Nobody rings me back.  What are my options now?  I assume try to follow the complaints procedure (complaintreviewservice@o2.com) and then the ombudsman according to these instructions:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-to-the-ombudsman-about-a-mobile-phone...

The background is complicated:

I had a Virgin Media/O2 Volt contract I was not using.  It had a number ending 2265.  The salesman told me I could cancel it at a month's notice.

My wife had a pre-existing separate O2 contract number ending 1214.

I rang O2 to cancel the Volt (2265) contract.  I was told I could not cancel it and that there was a minimum contract length.  I disputed this and was transferred to a disputes line.  After a long time on hold the call cut off.

As my wife's contract (1214) was cancellable without penalties, we decided to transfer her number over to the Volt contract, to save the hassle of trying to cancel the Volt contract directly.  She requested her PAC code.  I entered the PAC code on the O2 portal for the Volt (2265) contract.  This appeared to successfully transfer her number over to the Volt contract.  Her old SIM stopped working and the Volt SIM worked with her new number (1214) for a few hours.

I then received an email saying the 1214/Volt contract would be deactivated.  I infer this is because my initial call triggered the contract cancellation procedure on the Volt contract anyway, even though I did not give consent to do this.

So we now have no O2 connection and my wife needs her 1214 number, which she has had for 20+ years.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144445 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27679 Solutions

@Jon_SE22 

Yes, you do need to follow the complaints route.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

It may take a while to get a response though as they seem to have rather a lot of complaints to deal with currently......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Jon_SE22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's pretty amazing - O2's policy seems to be to time out difficult complaints until they are referred to the ombudsman, even ones related to disconnecting people, so I now have to wait for the 8 week deadline to expire.  Every time I have been told, "someone will contact you in x days/hours" nobody has.

I see on the Ofcom website that O2 are the most complained about mobile provider per 100,000 subscribers, at 3 times the level of EE.  Not surprising and I will be adding to that number.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144445 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27679 Solutions

Not surprised by those figures tbh.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4