Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Account

ABrun
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not an O2 customer, but I've had an O2 account fraudulently opened in my name (using an also fraudulently opened bank account). I reported this through the help desk as soon as I saw the hard search on my credit report. So far, the only correspondence I have received from O2 is two threatening letters with default notices, and have heard nothing at all about my fraud case.

Every time I speak to the help desk, I get told I need to wait for the fraud team to get back to me, and no-one can give me any information what-so-ever. I know from my credit report that someone has spent a huge amount of money in my name, but O2 don't seem to care about the stress and worry this is causing me.

When I reported this originally, why wasn't the account immediately stopped and all attempts to charge money put on hold while it was investigated? I would have happily gone into store with a pile of ID to prove I am who I say I am if holding an account is an issue. Instead I've been given a deadline of Jan 3rd to pay outstanding amounts, while being constantly told to wait for the fraud team. What do I do if this deadline arrives before they contact me? I do not want defaults against me and my credit score to be destroyed, but why should I pay for something I didn't buy?

I have so many questions around how on earth this has been allowed to happen - the fraudsters can't have had any real ID or bank cards in my name (the fraudulent bank card that first alerted me that something was wrong arrived 2 days after the O2 contract was opened). However, I'm really bothered by the lack of support O2 are providing. I've been left completely in the dark, and it is impossible to get to speak to someone on the fraud team who might actually be able to help, or at least help set my mind at ease a little. The help desk agents do try to help, but they can't actually tell me anything. Until I got these default notices today, the only information I've been able to see is through my credit report.

Very frustrated and stressed right now 😞

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@ABrun You need to report this incident to the police: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@ABrun You need to report this incident to the police: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@ABrun 

It is easy to pretend to be someone, they could have intercepted some of your post, looked on social media and got lots of information on you. 

Once they have this information its not difficult online to open an account, as long as the data all matches what is on your credit file, and other checks.

Unfortuantely o2 are not allowed to tell you about a fraud case whilst it is under investigation, as it can be classed as tipping off, and also prejudiced to an ongoing investigation, added to the fact these things can take a long time to be investigated properly and passed to the police. 

As @Bambino has said I would log this to Action Fraud and look to get a CIFAS protective marker added to your credit file, so additional verification is carried out before any credit is taken out in your name 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 13

ABrun
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @madasaf1sh and @Bambino .

I took out CIFAS protective registration and reported it to Action Fraud immediately - the bank were really helpful when I rang about the unexpected card, and talked me through everything I needed to do.

I understand what you're saying about not giving out information, but that's little consolation when I'm receiving threatening default notice letters with short deadlines demanding money for something I haven't bought. Do I pay it and hope to get it refunded to prevent the list of potential actions taking place, or do I effectively ride it out and trust O2 to fix all of the resulting issues on my credit report once it's all sorted? (That is assuming they don't decide I actually owe the money, which I sincerely hope isn't a possible outcome of this.)

Message 4 of 13

non_ya_binnes
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

you only getting default notices. I just got a notice yesterday stating that they have been forced to forward the case to a debt collection agency as a result. the debt collectors will get a shock. I'm very much attached to my possessions, and everything is in my name.

have you heard anything back from them? they did say they would email me with an update, but that was a month ago now.

the fraud problem which is similar to yours.

the account was opened in my girlfriends name and we only found out a month ago when we got the letter. reported it to fraud police who don't do anything, even if they have the address handed to them. I also phoned o2 and wasted a lot of time to speak to someone who could start doing anything. the dirty fraudsters probably got my girlfriends name from the electoral role. I had fraud happen to me many years ago, so sort of know what goes on, they chase you for debt, and will carry on, so scrubbed everything offline, and refused to fill out another electoral survey in again. I also changed my name. The difference this time is its my girlfriend and everything in this home is in my name.

Message 5 of 13

Andre2
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am going through same thing... stressed ..Costumer service, seem like they cannot help, only fraud team, but is there a fraud team? Two Phones as well ...Driving me crazy these scammers😫..O2 not helping..

Message 6 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Andre2 

As per you other post, you need to contact Action Fraud and report there as well as you posted the phones to the scammers and at this point in time it would look like you are part of the fraud, so you need to report it. 

O2's Fraud team will only contact you if the need to, and if it gets passed to the police they wont tell you anything, as they are not allowed to.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 13

Jarvo
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The exact same thing is happening to me apparently my account was set up on 31st October I still have not heard from there fraud team even though everytime I contact them they assure me it will be within 48 hours I now have a default on my credit score and the account has been passed to debt collection agency. This has to be a lack of due diligence on o2 part as not doing proper checks to set up these accounts are the cause of the problem and surprising where all these so called new accounts and phones getting delivered to as from experience a new phone has to be delivered to the billing address and signed for!! The more I read about these accounts happening makes you wonder if its the company setting them up itself if nobody has had a phone delivered to there billing address

Message 8 of 13

Harpsichore
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Exact same thing happened to me, I first reported this end of November. Yesterday I received a letter that my account is passed onto a debt collection agency. I reported this both tk action fraud and the financial ombudsman but still waiting for their reply. I'm surprised how O2 is dealing with this. My normal account is with a different provider and I'm never coming to o2 based on this experience. Every letter has a different number in them, mainly the payphone and only one of them had a number for payment management where I could speak to someone. They submitted a form to the fraud team to escalate my case twice but nothing happened, not even a courtesy email or update that they have a fraud currently under investigation as it is clear something is going on. O2 has no respect for customers and doesn't seem to take responsibility. This should change.

Message 9 of 13

Harpsichore
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This isn't helpful, can the solution Mark be removed from this? People reported this to action fraud. O2 should get back to people with this complain, it is unheard of that people need to wait months without any email.

Message 10 of 13