Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flawed process when changing to eSim

Avinunca1
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Yesterday I spoke to O2 support to request a change to eSim. The first thing that happened was the old physical sim was deactivated. 

I received after an hour or so an email with the esim link. I couldn't get it to bring up a QR code on my laptop. I opened the link on my phone. It brought up a QR code, but not being able to scan it I selected the alternative option. It said to copy to the clipboard the two items of information. Just a small problem - no instruction as to where to paste said info. I couldn't find any page with these fields. Did they exist? I suspect not.

I was prompted to enter OTP codes but of course O2 had disconnected my sim - well that was well thought out. I then sent a screenshot of the QR (after finding out how) to my laptop and scanned it with my phone.  I have now been waiting since yesterday 15.30 and it's 09:45 - no service. Am I confident I will have service within 24hrs? Not very.

I got through to O2 customer services very quickly so happy about that. On the other hand the eSim process really needs tidying up, but knowing O2 cannot even provide mobile data in my town centre I know not to expect too much. Will update when I get my service back.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Avinunca1
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I discovered the problem was that I still had my old physical SIM card inserted. I could call my landline but not any mobile number. I had no mobile date either. All good now and I'm looking forward to trying a local sim in the phone when we next travel abroad so I can switch between them.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6626 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

You should be able to install an eSIMs in my O2

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Avinunca1
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I do realise this is O2 community.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@Avinunca1 

I had to remove my physical sim before the esim activated.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Avinunca1
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I discovered the problem was that I still had my old physical SIM card inserted. I could call my landline but not any mobile number. I had no mobile date either. All good now and I'm looking forward to trying a local sim in the phone when we next travel abroad so I can switch between them.

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

Yeah, just said that ^^^

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Avinunca1
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

While I was typing. O2 really need to warn about this. I thought the physical sim was out of the game when they disabled it. 

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

No one from O2 will see this and if they did, customer service would never find out about it.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9