Did you mean: 

Dual SIM + Travel eSIM Questions

jbeer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I know some of the basics around Dual SIMs have been answered already but cannot seem to get answers to my specific questions and hope this forum can help.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max with a physical O2 SIM and a Airalo eSIM for data only for Turkey ready for an upcoming trip.  I have the O2 SIM as my Primary SIM for Voice & Data at the moment then when I'm in Turkey I'll be switching the data to the Airalo eSIM which is fine however......

Q1.  With the O2 SIM still been listed on the voice line it is linked to iMessage & FaceTime and with my data roaming switched off for the O2 SIM I'm guessing that I could still get calls & SMS texts coming through.  Is there a way to stop this from happening?

The only option I could think of was to toggle the O2 SIM 'Turn On This Line' to off and just be left with the Airalo eSIM data but by doing so my UK number is then unlinked to iMessage & Facetime...I'm only in Turkey for a short stay so no big deal however I'm also testing this out ready for a 3 week trip to the USA later this year and just trying to get my head around how to work this.

Q2.  If by switching the O2 SIM line off is like taking the SIM card out then I'm also assuming nothing comes through and any voice calls automatically go to UK voicemail as there is no attempt to connect to the SIM whilst abroad....also like using Airplane Mode?

A varied amount of questions I know but hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

iPhone 12 Pro Max
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@jbeer 

Your assumptions are correct but you need to turn off the O2 sim whilst in the UK or at least disable voicemail to prevent charges from people calling you and your answerphone answering the call.

Less of an issue in USA especially if you have Travel Inclusive bolt on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@jbeer 

Your assumptions are correct but you need to turn off the O2 sim whilst in the UK or at least disable voicemail to prevent charges from people calling you and your answerphone answering the call.

Less of an issue in USA especially if you have Travel Inclusive bolt on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

jbeer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks @MI5 for clarifying my thoughts and yes I would be planning on turning off the O2 SIM in the UK and not switch it back on until arriving back

thanks 

iPhone 12 Pro Max
Message 3 of 3