cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does O2 modify bootloader on new devices?

dangb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just bought a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite and a Pixel 6 from an official O2 shop. I saw the employee open both devices to activate the SIM.

On the A7, I get a warning every time it boots up saying the bootloader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be verified. This also affects software updates, as Android refuses to download updates on an "unsecure" device and points to try SmartSwicth as a possible alternative to upgrade, rather than downloading OS updates from the official servers.

On the Pixel, similar story. Updates do go through, but when I tried to add a card on Google Pay, it errors out saying that the device OS has been modified in an unauthorised manner and it cannot valid system integrity.

Surely this is not normal, and I must be missing a step along the way. How can O2 sell devices that are deemed unsecure by the manufacturers and Android systems?? What can be done about it?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10130 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@dangb 

Not anymore, sounds like a corrupt OS install.  and in the 100+ devices I buy each year, not come across one that has the boot loader unlocked (until I unlock it on some devices).

I would return both devices and get the shop to swap them for sealed box devices, and get them to return those 2 devices 

And to add the Pixel 6 has been fraught with OS issues since launch, and the Google QA process is rubbish at the moment, so can imagine that it has slipped through in order to meet demand

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
  • 10130 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@dangb 

Not anymore, sounds like a corrupt OS install.  and in the 100+ devices I buy each year, not come across one that has the boot loader unlocked (until I unlock it on some devices).

I would return both devices and get the shop to swap them for sealed box devices, and get them to return those 2 devices 

And to add the Pixel 6 has been fraught with OS issues since launch, and the Google QA process is rubbish at the moment, so can imagine that it has slipped through in order to meet demand

Message 2 of 5

dangb
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks! Both devices came in sealed boxes though. I had them in my hand and the O2 employee and I opened them together to set them up in the shop. That's why I'm a little confused.

I also don't think this has got anything to do with Google OS issues, but more of a security check on the Pixel 6 which does not allow to pay with a device that has been rooted.

I feel I'm missing something here.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
  • 10130 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@dangb 

If they are sealed boxes this is how they have been delivered to o2, as o2 dont open them..

Quite a few reports of some of the Pixel 6's coming with the boot loader being unlocked on delivery, so defo a Google / Samsung Issue.  

As an example

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/r38xk9/pixel_6_pro_came_with_unlocked_bootloader/

Message 4 of 5

dangb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Turns out the error in the Pixel 6 was completely throwing me off, but the device is okay (just Amex + Google Pay being weird). The error on the Samsung A7 could not be explained by anyone so we got a replacement. Probably a corrupt OS install as you mentioned @madasaf1sh . Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 5