Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data won’t work if Wi-Fi is down

Kayl-797
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mobile data usually works well but when my broadband (sky) goes down so does my mobile data.  This problem only happens in the house, if I go out in the street away from my home or at work my data works perfectly well until I return home.  My data then works fine when the broadband is back on (Wi-Fi still turned off in mobile settings).

I have turned off the Wi-Fi in my settings, mobile data is turned on and have plenty in my allowance but nothing loads and it won’t connect. Tried turning the phone off and on but nothing. I don’t understand why my data won’t work when it has nothing to do with my broadband?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paddiewack
Level 4: Observant
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Your first step (obvious I know) is to check how many signal bars you have when indoors because if outside your house your mobile data works fine then clearly it’s a mobile signal issue. Also try the O2 app to see if there are any outages in your area. Again that’s unlikely but worth a try and then if you are forced to call customer services you can tell them what you’ve tried which may speed up diagnosing the problem.

Try to call them at 08.00 if you need to as you’ll have a better chance of getting through quickly at that time.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Paddiewack
Level 4: Observant
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Your first step (obvious I know) is to check how many signal bars you have when indoors because if outside your house your mobile data works fine then clearly it’s a mobile signal issue. Also try the O2 app to see if there are any outages in your area. Again that’s unlikely but worth a try and then if you are forced to call customer services you can tell them what you’ve tried which may speed up diagnosing the problem.

Try to call them at 08.00 if you need to as you’ll have a better chance of getting through quickly at that time.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 7

Kayl-797
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have 3 signal bars indoors, same outdoors.. phone calls and texts all work perfectly fine just my data won’t load even though it comes up saying I have 4g. All very strange but will try and see if customer services have any ideas, thank you

Message 3 of 7

Nicola_41
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had the same issue (minus the wi-fi) this week, been out and about with plenty of bars of signal and data remaining and I can't access the internet at all. 

Message 4 of 7

Paddiewack
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Almost definitely a network issue,possibly congestion.

Customer service is the way to go. 🤞

Message 5 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35223 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

And while you wait for CS to pick up your call or respond to your holler for help on Social Media (links below), there are some tips to help pinpoint or work around the lack of internet connectivity on your phone's, @Kayl-797 and @Nicola_41https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/network-support

Good luck!

Message 6 of 7

Roche
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OMG I have the same exact issue which is so annoying! Okay Wi-Fi gone, but let me use my data to finish what I was doing. Instead I have to go and sit in my car! Are you also with virgin for internet and O2 for phone data? I was wondering if that was something to do with it since they merged? 

Message 7 of 7