Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data sims for video chat

Filledoutnicely
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Want to send a phone to my parents with a data sim so i can video call them using whatsapp.
My parents have no internet and are not tech savy so i would need to set it up before posting it.
Whatsapp video calls would last 1hour once a week.
Whats the GB size and deal i should look for ? Not too pricey.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

KingAmo
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions
@Filledonutnicely

Depending on how often you will call them within a month. Since you said they are not tech savy, that means they might unlikely use the data for anything else. Will recommend you buy at most 3GB data for them.
I hope this helps
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Filledoutnicely 

Data sims from O2 are only for tablets not phones.

If you buy a phone it comes with calls, texts and data.

All O2 deals can be found in the shop https://www.o2.co.uk/shop .

However you may be better off buying them a cheap phone from Argos or Amazon (where you know they are in stock) Both places sell sim cards for any network.

O2's stock system isn't live so you may have a long wait if you order anything from here.  

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

O2Faisal
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 97 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Filledoutnicely wrote:
Want to send a phone to my parents with a data sim so i can video call them using whatsapp.
My parents have no internet and are not tech savy so i would need to set it up before posting it.
Whatsapp video calls would last 1hour once a week.
Whats the GB size and deal i should look for ? Not too pricey.

Hi @Filledoutnicely I would recommend around 12-15GB data per month, you can see how I came to this calculation following the link which will help you choose the best plan. Your options would be as one of the kind chaps has said is to either take out a refresh contract on a mobile phone, which will give you flexibilty over the term of the contract and you can change the tariff once every billing omnth should usage change. Or you can purchase a handset and take out a Sim only contract, Data only sims are for non mobile phones so please keep that in mind to avoid purchasing the wrong type of sim plan. Unless they specifically dont want to use voice, then maybe consider a tablet for doing your video calls and a data only plan would suit that. Only drawback with that is most tablets will only allow audi over the speakerphone meaning less privacy unless the use headphones. Hope that helps.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/understanding-data

signature
Message 4 of 4