Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Speeds Being Throttled?

pburke90
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a 40GB data package with O2. On the My O2 app they have it broken down in to 3 groups. A 10GB data allowance, a 20GB 'bonus data' and then another 10GB 'bonus data'. Not sure why, but whatever.

I have done some testing over the past few months. When I'm using my phone within the 10GB 'data allowance', everything is fine. Once I hit the 'bonus data' things grind to a halt. Apps take ages to load, videos are impossible to watch, so much buffering and the likes. Once my monthly bill date has been reached and I go back to the 10GB of 'data allowance', everything is fine again. The same thing happens me every month without fail. It's incredibly annoying.

I also get text messages to tell me I've used "80% of my data" yet checking the My O2 app tells me I have well over half of my allowance left (at least 20 GB of a 40GB package). What gives? Do O2 throttle speeds for "extra data" addons, and why is my data portioned out like that in my account when I should surely have  a simple 40GB of data allowance, no extra "bonus data" addons?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6622 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Mine is 32Gb Data with another 32Gb as bonus through Volt

I've never checked but I don't seen to have a problem moving on to bonus data.

Make sure your data manager on your phone is set to near the maximum attedance.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 6

pburke90
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another thing I have noticed is on the My O2 website, it displays my phones details such as name, IMEI etc, but they are incorrect. It is displaying my old phone that I haven't used in over 6 months. It was a Samsung phone but I am now using an iPhone. Both are phones I purchased from the manufacturer direct, not O2. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@pburke90 

You need the iData bolt on for iPhones which you wouldn't have had when using the Samsung.

Contact O2 to add it to your account.

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

pburke90
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just spoken to O2, I was told that there is no iData bolt on required any more, but their system also said my tariff is 10GB not 40GB. So they have escalated my query to the technical team and I'll hear back in 3-5 days...

Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@pburke90 wrote:

I've just spoken to O2, I was told that there is no iData bolt on required any more..........

lol 😂

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6