Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of ownership

Naomi8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don’t know if anyone can help me, as I’m very frustrated.
I have called up o2 4 times now regarding change of ownership of my number that has been under my mums name for years (was virgin mobile account before being migrated to o2) and now I’m wanting it under my name. I started a new contract up with o2 in my name on the 14th January and was told all I need to do in ring customer services and they’ll sort it out (with my mum present) which I have now done 4 times since and all times have been told it will take 24 hours, however I am still stuck with my ‘temporary’ number still waiting for my old number to be transferred over. 
I am very frustrated to say the least, and now wondering if I should cancel my contract as I have 14 days to do so from buying it. Me and my mum have had to answer the security questions and say the numbers etc numerous of times, but nothing seems to be happening. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do next? I just want my old number moved over to my new account and don’t want to loose it.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Naomi8 

Known issue with migrating numbers from Virgin as the O2 system doesn't recognise then as O2 numbers.

This means a migration is not possible and you can't port in using a PAC either as Virgin cannot generate a PAC.

The only way around it is to get a PAC from O2 for your number and port it to another network PAYG sim, then get a PAC from that and port back in to your O2 contract.

Either that or just can cel and go elsewhere to save the faff.

Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/returning-your-device

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Naomi8 

Known issue with migrating numbers from Virgin as the O2 system doesn't recognise then as O2 numbers.

This means a migration is not possible and you can't port in using a PAC either as Virgin cannot generate a PAC.

The only way around it is to get a PAC from O2 for your number and port it to another network PAYG sim, then get a PAC from that and port back in to your O2 contract.

Either that or just can cel and go elsewhere to save the faff.

Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/returning-your-device

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Naomi8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Right okay, no one has told me this and they have cancelled my old contract with my old number (under my mums name) and said once that had happened it would be migrated over but it hasn’t. Does this mean I’ve probably lost that number now? 

O2 have also just hung up on me after being on the phone for an hour 😞

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Naomi8 

They can still generate a PAC for your old number even though it's been disconnected.

Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4