Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls and messages in France

Toots1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am in France and not able to call anybody or send messages I do have internet access though? When I changed to o2 pay as you go I kept my old phone number but my phone is still showing the original number and it won’t let me change it. It was working fine in the uk. I have tried several things in settings but no change. Can anybody help?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Toots1 

Try resetting your network settings first.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36016 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

As more countries remove their 3G infrastructure to make way for new 5G equipment, many find they need to have "4G Calling" enabled on their handsets to continue to make voice calls natively, ie without resorting to apps like WhatsApp for calls.  O2 does not offer either 5G or "4G Calling" on PAYG phones, @Toots1 

As far as your number reverting to original, if you have an iPhone you may find that this helps: Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime. Restart your iPhone. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on.

Good luck, @Toots1 

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

France is keeping 3g until 2028

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

France is shutting down 2G first

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36016 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Which would mean switching down to 2G for voice is also no use.

Plus those timelines are estimates, things move very fast once cellular 2 and 3G infrastructure starts being ripped out.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

Current status as of last week is that OrangeF an SFr still have an active and functioning 2g and 3g network.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7