Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre Lack of Data

CO4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ever since switching to O2 I've found that data coverage in general is poor in multiple locations. In fact pretty much everywhere bar central London. But here's a scenario I'm struggling to comprehend.

Met up with a mate a while back & went to check something on my phone - no data. But he, also on O2  did have data coverage. Didn't think too much of it until next time I was at the same venue & again had no data, nor any time since.

Since  then I've changed my phone model (Samsung S21+ to S23+) & tried a replacement SIM. I've verified that both our phones are using the same APN & that the APN settings match. The only remaining difference is he's still using an elderly S7.

It's not altogether a new phenomenon as around 10 years ago I had a job configuring iPhones & iPads for a major corporate roll-out using O2 SIMs. It was not uncommon then to have two identical devices side-by-side with wildly different data reception. 

Can anyone suggest what may be going on here?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144490 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

@CO4 

Try your sim in your friends phone as that will narrow it down to a phone or account issue.

Also, his old S7 will only be capable of 4g, so try yours locked to 4g too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2