Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being billed for call to America I didn’t make

Holly32
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi - I just received an email telling me I was being charged an extra £130. Went into the app and it’s saying I made a call to an American number I don’t recognise for nearly an hour on the 8th April. I did not make this call and don’t want to be charged. I rang customer service and the person I spoke to said they can’t help as it’s impossible with covid and I needed to talk to my bank and cancel my direct debit! I rang my bank and they said they can do that by obviously there is a risk that I will be cut off and I can’t risk that as I need my phone for remote working! Can someone tell me what to do? I need my phone but don’t want to pay scammers for a call I didn’t make. It’s a huge amount of money! Thanks. Holly
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The only way it could be a scam is if you clicked on a link which meant you had to call. The number would look local but in fact re-routes to a foreign number which costs a great deal of money.

Check this advice here

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/premium-service-checker 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Holly32
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Holly32 

It 'may' be a scam. We have no access to your account so can't be sure. I do know people have been receiving higher than normal bills for unknown reasons.

Do NOT cancel your direct debit. O2 have to sort this out for you.

Numbers to call are in this link. Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Is there the slightest chance anyone (including children) could have accessed your phone?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Holly32
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi there - understand your response - but I know it wasn’t me or the kids who did this call. Will have to try ringing again and see if they can help but the last person literally said they couldn’t do anything which is a scammers paradise!
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The only way it could be a scam is if you clicked on a link which meant you had to call. The number would look local but in fact re-routes to a foreign number which costs a great deal of money.

Check this advice here

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/premium-service-checker 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Holly32
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
OMG - just worked out what this was. It was a call number for a google hangouts meeting that reroutes to America! Nightmare- will have to charge it to my company - thanks for your help
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No problem @Holly32 

At least it's sorted. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

jonsie