cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36627 Posts
  • 236 Topics
  • 1634 Solutions

The Forum is now operated by a small team from the in-house O2 Social Media Team, with a day-hours Manager who is dedicated to that role. There are some "moderators" who can be called upon to remove offensive or duplicate posts, and then it is down to a band of customers, or former customers in some cases, who have their own knowledge domains and will answer queries based on experience or knowledge of some of the intricacies of both the Forum and of O2's offerings and of mobile matters (models, features, promotions, etc)  generally, @Smiffyboy.

Yes, it was a bit of a shock when the Advisor service was removed, some of them really knew, or had access to, the right stuff within O2 to help get all manner of issue addressed and closed. So it goes.

Message 211 of 233

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123489 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

We were told that the advisors would be replaced. I wonder if that plan will come to fruition any time soon

@Dave-O2??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 212 of 233

Cleoriff
  • 123489 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Smiffyboy 

No-one from O2 actually monitors posts on the forum. Our manager works for O2 but really is in no position to help with this issue which has been going on for some while.

Sorry about that.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 213 of 233

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6516 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Smiffyboy 

To add to what @pgn has said, another support option that might or might not work is to visit your local O2 store :-

Store locator | O2 UK | Find Your Nearest O2 Store

https://stores.o2.co.uk/

Their focus is obviously sales, but if you go when it is quiet, you might find a member of staff who has the time, knowledge and willingness to help you.  

Message 214 of 233

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 703 Posts
  • 43 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

Thanks for the question @Cleoriff 😊

Bringing back the Community advisors is something we're still working on and definitely want to happen.

Currently, I have no timescales to share, however, when there is an update, I'll provide this on the Your Future Community thread.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 215 of 233

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123489 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Thanks @Dave-O2 

As I'm female and known to nag, can I ask that it's sooner rather than later? 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 216 of 233

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 703 Posts
  • 43 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

🤣 

We certainly plan to have this in place sooner rather than later, however, we don't have at additional details to share at this time.

Message 217 of 233

Smiffyboy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Dave-O2, if I understand correctly, your team is also responsible for social media. I was advised on this forum that they may be able to help resolve my problem, so I contacted them over the weekend and had an initial response today asking for some account and security information which I provided immediately along with some further detail about the problem. I’ve heard nothing from them since. I also called 202 again this morning, spoke to a South African call centre and they weren’t familiar with the problem or with the error code message that I am seeing (which also says to call 202). I have been awaiting a call from the technical team since Thursday, when another agent referred my problem to them. I also went to my local O2 shop, who said they were familiar with the issue, but that it could only be resolved by calling 202 as it was a ‘system problem’ relating to the migration of existing Sync data plans from an existing Apple Watch to a new one. So, another day has gone by with no call from the technical (CRT) team, no ongoing communication from the social media team, and no help from service agents on the phone or face to face in the shop. I’m at my wits end. Can you please do anything to help me resolve this? At the very least, can you do anything to initiate a conversation with the technical team? Please let me know either way if you can help or not as I don’t want to waste your time or anyone else’s. Thanks in advance. 

Message 218 of 233

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 703 Posts
  • 43 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

Good morning @Smiffyboy and I'm sorry to hear about the delay in getting your Apple Watch issue resolved.

Our Social Team, are fairly busy at the moment, but if you've been in touch, they will get back to you as soon as possible to discuss this further.

Thanks for all your patience. 

Message 219 of 233

samaryd
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I too have this problem on an Apple Watch 8 on WatchOS 10.1/network provider O2 26.0. Mine wasn’t a migration issue as it was a brand new cellular contract on the watch bought from O2 in January 2023. I’ve been to customer services and had my SIM reset, tried to remove the plan and re-add it, unpaired and re-paired the watch, reset the watch completely to factory settings - pretty much everything I’ve seen in this thread. I’ve been with O2 since BT Cellnet days and even worked there until recently and I’m so disappointed that I’m going to be looking at alternative suppliers I think.

Message 220 of 233