Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating new SIM while in USA

Rebecca8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I want to buy a new pay monthly SIM for my son who is studying in the USA.  He will use the account when he comes home to the UK in the holidays and very occasionally in the US, as he also has a US phone number.  Will he be able to activate the new sim while he is in the USA or should we activate it here before we send it to him?  Will we need to be connected to the O2 network to activate the new sim?  He will be porting his number from a different provider (I have the PAC code and a spare handset here so I could activate the sim and send it to him, or I could just send him the sim and let him activate it there)  Any suggestions please as to the best way of doing this?  Thanks R

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rebecca8 

Do everything here including the number transfer then just post him the sim card. 

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rebecca8 

Do everything here including the number transfer then just post him the sim card. 

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Rebecca8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, that's very helpful (and a whole lot quicker than trying to get an answer from O2 customer service)🙂

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Rebecca8 When you post the sim to your son, make sure you send it by registered post, and put it inside a greeting card or something to disguise that it's a sim card. These things have a nasty way of going missing in the post. You might also want to think about sending an international Pay & Go sim, rather than a Pay Monthly. If he's going to be in the US for some time, you'd be wasting money paying monthly for a contract he's not getting any benefit from. When he returns to the UK permanently he can always switch to paying a monthly contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5