Did you mean: 

4G internet speed - MK19

Trixiesaurus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

I have an Alcatel 4G dongle providing my internet as my location doesn’t have wired connection. When I first changed over from Vodafone due to shockingly slow service (about 7 months ago?), it seemed to work great. 

Lately, Teams calls have been cutting out, streaming is frustratingly choppy and my Outlook is intermittently losing connection to the server, up to 15 times a day!

Tonight I’ve been trying to download a software update for my car and it has repeatedly failed. The update is 5.8GB. My speed test shows I’m getting 0.24Mbps!! I’m 2.8GB down with over 40mins estimated remaining. If the connection drops, the download has to start again (Opel App) 

I’ve checked the network checker and it says I should be getting 4G inside and out where I live. Can you please advise why the service is so intermittent? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Trixiesaurus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’d like to add - there are no other devices using WiFi during the download. If I’m streaming TV I have to ensure phones are not connected to WiFi 

Message 2 of 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6626 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Strength of signal is no guarantee of the quality of the connection. Sounds like an overloaded network

There are a few things to check in these guides.

I recommend downloading the My Network App and registering to report and keep on getting updates 

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10200 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Trixiesaurus 

The problem with the large download is that Mobile Data has a hight degree of packet loss and latency which large downloads don't like as the packets don't get resent,so it fails the download.. 

And download speeds are also dependent on the host and where the host is, and most car manufacturers have really crap infrastructure for updates, and some sites are rated limited..

So some of it might be o2, some of it may be the website.. And I would from a professional point of view, never recommend downloading large files over Mobile Data

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

Trixiesaurus
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply. I’ll bare that in mind, although I wouldn’t have though midnight in a Thursday was peak time for the network. Really frustrating to live in a place that doesn’t have cable connection for internet! 

Message 5 of 6

Trixiesaurus
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply. 
The update is downloaded via a desktop app to my laptop, onto a memory stick. I finally managed to get the infotainment update, but maps there’s no chance. Not a huge issue as I use car play and phone apps for navigation anyway. 

Will have to remember to take my laptop when I visit family and use their high speed internet! 

Message 6 of 6