cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

used phone sold as new?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yesterday I bought what's meant to be a brand new Sony xperia a1 on pay as you go, paid for it £199.

When I brought it home and unpacked it turned out that the device has the screen protector attached to it. The kind of you can buy on eBay for 1.99. I phoned up the store and told them about but they reassured me that this is brand new phone. But they weren't able to give me the answer where the protector comes from and who put it there. Anybody had something similar happened?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Was your box still sealed?
If so, the screen protector was fitted by Sony.
If the box had been opened already, you should reject it regardless.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s not that plastic stuff they put on new phones before they are taken out of a sealed box is it?

Message 12 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Mine were proper good film ones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the box was sealed. But after I opened it I still managed to put seals back and looked pretty fine.

The protector isn't that that thin plastic film they put sometimes on the screens. Its a proper shape protector with hole for a front camera.
Message 14 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Sounds to me like the same as were fitted to mine.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5

So there is no need for concern in your opinion?

My only worry was that maybe someone brought it back as faulty, they fixed it and sold it on.
Message 16 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
O2 would clearly identify it if it was a pre owned phone.
I can only speak as I find but I've had quite a few Sony phones and my Z1 and Z5 both had screen protectors already fitted and my SP had one in the box.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much.
Message 18 of 18