cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two country use

Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have a pay&go account and have upgraded my phone from an ancient voice mobile to a 4g phone. At home I'll use wireless for data, but when travelling in Europe will want to look at maps - I drive from England to Italy twice a year. With O2 Travel it looks like I get unlimited data with a monthly contract, but only 100MB with pay&go. Is this true? And does anyone know of a better contract for sudden infrequent bursts of large data usage? 

Message 1 of 37
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes you do get unlimited data with o2 travel on a monthly contract, which although slow is good enough for mapping.
PAYG is limited to 100mb per day though unfortunately.
I use Here Maps which doesn't need data provided you download the map regions you need in advance but can still use small amounts of data for rerouting around traffic incidents and road closures etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous  O2 does not offer unlimited data on any contract. You don't need data to use Google maps. You can download areas using WiFi and just use your GPS. Here is a tutorial on how to use it: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 37

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes you do get unlimited data with o2 travel on a monthly contract, which although slow is good enough for mapping.
PAYG is limited to 100mb per day though unfortunately.
I use Here Maps which doesn't need data provided you download the map regions you need in advance but can still use small amounts of data for rerouting around traffic incidents and road closures etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 37

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I stand corrected then, but doesn't O2 Travel incur a £1.99 per day charge and is over and above the contract tariff? If the OP is only intending to use the phone for maps, then Google maps offline just using GPS is the way to go.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 37

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Correct but I was just answering the question that was asked.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 37

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Anyway, with the current 50% off sale it might be cheaper to go to a monthly simo contract
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals/#/sims/tariffs?deviceType=phone&contractLength=P1...

Currently using:
Message 6 of 37

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I believe I was answering the question that was asked by suggesting to the OP that they didn't need data at all for maps.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 37

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yep, there's a lot of it about at the mo.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for your help everyone! It looks like I was right in my assumptions. Unfortunately I can't use Google maps with wireless as I will be in the car with no wireless connection. I shall look into Here Maps - that looks as though it might be a good answer to my problem - thanks MI5. I don't want to get a monthly contract because even with the 50% off sale my phone usage isn't high enough to warrant it.

Message 9 of 37

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you need more space for big maps they can be stored on an sd card too.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 37