Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switch to sim only

STANBY
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My 24 month pay monthly contract ended last June. I didn't receive any alerts about it so didn't notice until last month. 

I want to switch to sim only. I've called O2 several times, long queues etc, and on the last occasion was transferred 4 times over half an hour and still couldn't speak to anyone to get it done.

In desperation  I wrote a letter posted 1st class over a week ago - no response whatsoever.

I wonder if I could cancel the contract and rejoin on a sim only option keeping my number? The sim only offers to new customers are much better than the options I'm being offered.

Strange as it may seem I want to stay with O2 mainly because I travel to the Channel Isles fairly often and don't get charged for roaming.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@STANBY 

If you are having problems contacting O2, visit your O2 shop with ID and ask to UPGRADE to sim only. (Upgrading generally avoids credit checks.)

OR

Use USwitch

Our best O2 SIM only deals in October 2023 - Uswitch

Choose the deal you want

This will automatically redirect you to the O2 website

Just follow the prompts and choose the UPGRADE option

Complete the deal and nothing on your account changes except the tariff at the new cheaper cost

Payment date is the same and your next bill will be at the cheaper rate and will be made up of the pro rata cost of your old tariff and your new tariff

The change should show in My O2 within 24 hours

Volt benefits will still apply as will possibly a 3 month extra such as Disney+

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

STANBY
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply Cleoriff, looks very promising but using USwitch the Upgrade option does not appear when I've selected a deal.  It just wants to post me a new sim.

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@STANBY 

I would try again. Never failed anyone I know before. You must select UPGRADE.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

STANBY
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry this is a pain, at no point can I see an UPGRADE option following the USwitch link. I'm using my android mobile to access it, select the O2 SIM deal, new page comes up, continue, goes to O2 site, answer questions about iphone, 5G and spend cap, new page, item in basket, checkout. I haven't been past this point.

Nearest O2 shop is 39 miles away!

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@STANBY 

If you can't see upgrade, then follow all the prompts to get the deal into your basket.

Once you've checked out you will need to contact O2 to migrate your number to the new contract

This will cancel your present contract and you will find your first bill will likely to be less due to the tariff difference credit.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

STANBY
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but I've not much confidence left trying to contact O2 as suggested to migrate my number to the new contract. There should be a better more customer friendly way. Why is upgrade not available on USwitch?  Why are the SIM only upgrade deals offered on My O2 so much more expensive than using the USwitch method? Customer service seems to be absent.

Message 7 of 9

STANBY
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've finally managed to sort this using chat, not quite as good a deal as offered on USwitch but much better than anything offered on My O2. It's been very hard work.

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Pleased to hear it's sorted @STANBY 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9