cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim only insurance for mobile phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just changed my insurance provider from because my bank (Bank of Scotland) offers free mobile insurance.
However, the last insurers gave me a really hard time because I was also cancelling my £2.99 per month airtime insurance - they said they had just paid out a bill for £9000 for unauthorised use of Sim/airtime. I am on a 24 month contract for my iphone3G with 02. I reckoned that the general phone insurance would suffice because if my phone is lost or stolen I can report it to 02 and the account will be barred for use. Why would I need the extra insurance in this case?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just changed my insurance provider from because my bank (Bank of Scotland) offers free mobile insurance.
However, the last insurers gave me a really hard time because I was also cancelling my £2.99 per month airtime insurance - they said they had just paid out a bill for £9000 for unauthorised use of Sim/airtime. I am on a 24 month contract for my iphone3G with 02. I reckoned that the general phone insurance would suffice because if my phone is lost or stolen I can report it to 02 and the account will be barred for use. Why would I need the extra insurance in this case?

You're liable for any charges up until you report the phone stolen to o2. Imagine you're on holiday abroad and don't realise your phone is gone for a few hours. The theif could have already ran up a large bill.
Does your bank's insurance not cover unauthorised calls? My RBS mobile phone insurance covers up to £1500 of unauthorised calls.
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 85702 Posts
  • 591 Topics
  • 4592 Solutions

You're liable for any charges up until you report the phone stolen to o2. Imagine you're on holiday abroad and don't realise your phone is gone for a few hours. The theif could have already ran up a large bill.
Does your bank's insurance not cover unauthorised calls? My RBS mobile phone insurance covers up to £1500 of unauthorised calls.

Have a look here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66197
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I'm also with RBS and am coveredfor up to £1500. Is that enough? The last insurers were giving cover for up to £10000 and were horrified when I said I didn't need this. Also do I have to worry about the sim card only being stolen without my noticing? Would the sim card work on any one else's phone? Does this ever happen?
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
isnt there a monthly credit limit of 500 quid or something where you cant go over anyway???
Message 5 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
If a sim card has no sim pin activated the sim will work in any unlocked phone and run up a large bill unitll you report phone and sim stolen and they get blocked,so to prevent unauthorised calls put a pass code lock on the handset with as short a period of time the handset allows and set a sim pin so each time the phone is switched on or sim put in another phone it needs a pin to use it so preventing any unauthorised calls.
For an iphone see my links
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 6