Did you mean: 

signal problems with my new o2 sim

signalseeker
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 

I'm in a poor signal area, can't get 4G and my phone doesn't support internet calling. its a Samsung Galaxy S4

My new o2 sim card has arrived today, but i can't get a good enough signal with it.

i've read about an o2 boost box.

can i get one of these for a sim only monthly contract ? (non business)

i don't want to cancel straight away, but i feel if i can't get a boost box i will be forced to send back my sim and cancel the contract straight away.

i had a vodafone sure signal before which worked fine, but when i checked the o2 signal coverage map, (and ofcom website), i was supposed to get good signal indoors and outdoors with o2 at my postcode. 

However the map is obviously very over optimistic !!! as i can get virtually no signal indoors and very poor signal outdoors.

i would greatly appreciate some advice, before i have to switch back to vodafone !!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144845 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions

@signalseeker 

No sorry, you can't get a boostbox on a consumer tariff.

Signal maps are also only theoretical computer simulations and we always suggest checking with PAYG sim cards before committing to a contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

signalseeker
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks

that's a shame

I will have to cancel then. (as it's inside 14 days it's not a problem)

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144845 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions

Makes sense @signalseeker 

No point if you can't get a signal.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

signalseeker
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5

respect all your rewards ...

i'm in the presence of knowledge...

The maps didn't look computer generated, as the signal areas looked too 'analogue'.

i thought they would be calculated from actual signal reception combined with gps, as i'm sure the system can tell exactly where signals are received. silly me for overthinking it.

also ofcom checker, which i thought would be accurate detailed good indoor and outdoor signal.

(unless they use the 02 map of course... haha) 

Thanks for the answer anyway

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144845 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions

@signalseeker 

As mentioned on the OFCOM pages, they do test some areas themselves and their maps may differ from the "predictions" provided by the networks.

About the mobile coverage checker

This map uses signal level predictions provided by the four UK mobile network operators. Ofcom has tested actual coverage in various locations around the UK, and used the results to set the thresholds for voice calls used on the map. We will continue to conduct testing, work with the mobile operators and analyse consumer feedback with a view to improving the accuracy of the map. The map may differ from those provided by the network operators; see the FAQ below for reasons why.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6