cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

payg data roaming costs and free international sms

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just been looking around and am amazed to find that vodafone, yes vodafone are the cheapest for international data roaming..for russia its £3 per mb! o2? £6!! Any chance of a price match lads or im sending a vodafone sim to my gf in russia. We are smsing using fishtext and so the only cost to pay is the data.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
O2 do not post on these forums just us customers
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
In reality therecis no difference as all networks have a cap of £40 and a usage limit of 50mb, this is eu law, so voda is only cheaper for the first 7mb or thereabous, unless they dont have the cap at all? The cap is eu law but o2 applied it globally. Have the other networks?
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi, well, the data she would be using will be about 2mb, 3mb max per month. Im using the o2 web bolt on and fishtext installed on my k800i. 3mb is more than enough for her to send 50sms per day and have fishtext set to check for incoming sms every 10mins 24 hours a day. I am wondering if o2 do any data romaing pack that would offer a saving on the bog standard payg price of £6 per mb?
Just looked on the site and they dont offer any data roaming discounts.. looks like its vodafone then..
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sms shouldnt use any data at all, should it? When you are abroad on o2 they range from 10p to 40p depending on country. Mms are 25p everywhere and also dont use data. Both are also completely free to recieve. Would this work out cheaper for you? ( or check other networks sms/mms roaming charges)
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
have a look at www.fishtext.com and you will see how im sending sms both from uk to abroad, and my gf sending back to me.
For me to send a 160 char sms to russia is 1.3p. But because she now has a phone with fishtext installed the sms charge is zero. We only pay for the data. Based on £6 per 1mb on her o2 payg sim in russia, she can send 3 160 character sms messages to me in england for 1p of that £6.
Fishtext sends sms by the data connection, NOT by the usual way of sending sms!
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
But if your girlfriend is using an o2 sim, it can be anywhere in the world and you can send SMS out of your normal allowance and she gets it for free, it doesn't cost anything as long as you are in the uk.
Her sending them back to you is a good point though, that is dearer on the network. If you are using fishtext and paying for the data on all messages I was thinking it might be more expensive overall, but you have obviously given it more thought than me.
In that case o2 is going to be more expensive.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why don't you just get her a Russian SIM? then she would be paying the local rate for data. Maybe that would be even cheaper?
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I would like to be able to pay for her sms to me, with o2 payg I can do this very easily. There would be no way of "easily" paying for a russian payg account in the uk.
We have been experimenting and found that the best way to set things up was - on my phone fishtext is set to check for new incoming sms every 10 mins or less as I have the web bolt on on my phone. Because of this there is no fishtext charge to pay on her fishtext account when she sends an sms to me. The only time the sms would be charged by fishtext (at 2p) would be if my phone went out of 3g coverage and so fishtext application was unable to connect to the net. Her fishtext is set to never check for incoming sms, so sms I send to her arrive as a normal sms to the phone`s normal inbox, and I pay 2p per sms i send. Whenever she sends me an sms by fishtext, the data charge works out at 0.3 pence per sms she sends. Compare that to o2s normal roaming rate for sms sent back to uk the normal way!
Times is hard, got to be thrifty!
Message 9 of 9