cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ofcom ruling on fixed contract price hikes

Anonymous
Not applicable

With regard to the recent OFCOM ruling that you can leave your contract for free if a mobile company increases the price of a fixed term contract, is anyone able to advise whether this will be retrospective? Like most people O2 have previously hiked the cost of my 24 month contract.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Nearly all providers not just of telephone services have a clause that say they can increase their charges during the minimum term providing they are under a certain percentage.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144445 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
No it's not and neither does it become a lawful ruling for another 3 months.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

With regard to the recent OFCOM ruling that you can leave your contract for free if a mobile company increases the price of a fixed term contract, is anyone able to advise whether this will be retrospective? Like most people O2 have previously hiked the cost of my 24 month contract.

You don't want a lot do you?

The O2 price inrease was within the terms that you agreed to at the time.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 6

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Nearly all providers not just of telephone services have a clause that say they can increase their charges during the minimum term providing they are under a certain percentage.
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144445 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
Most people have just seen rises of 10% on Gas & Elec (increasing cost by £200+ per year) yet we still see people moaning about a 3% (average 60p/month) rise....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Also note that O2 were the last of the major networks to increase their prices during the term of a contract and had held off for some considerable time before doing so.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 6