cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 and there silly restrictions

Anonymous
Not applicable

iv just joined o2 and i have to say im SERIOUSLY considering cancelling the so called "contract" where your not allowed to do jack ******!

i cant use youtube, i cant use facebook, i cant use iplayer, i cant use vpn - im paying for this bloody contract and i do not appreciate being forced to use it the way this flamin network want me to. you buy a contract with data and your not even allowed to use it!!!!!!!

I EVEN GET ASKED FOR AGE VERIFICATION TO VIEW CBEEBIES FOR MY SON FFS!!!

first chance i get im cancelling this stupid contract - you cant even call it a contract its more like a digital prision! cbeebies, what the hell is wrong with cbeebies ffs its a kids network. the worst network iv ever joined by far

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Never had any issues, using any of the things you mention, it sounds like you have an incorrect setting set on your handset...

Call Cs and ask them to check.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you call into your local o2 store you can speak to a guru who will show you how to use your phone properly.
They will also assist in getting the age verification completed for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
All you need to do is get cs to take the age verification block off
Message 4 of 11

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks guys for your replies! slight_smile

@Anonymous Please let us know how you get on with this and if you have any additional questions? Hope you get the age verification unblocked soon!

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
My choice of words when I posted this may have been a bit strong. I was peed off.

I found a way to get to YouTube but 9 times out of 10 all I got was "could not establish a secure connection" this was with all my browsers.

Iv tried 4 vpn software packages which all work using other sims (including o2 payg sims) however pop this contract sim back in and they all fail to connect saying there's no internet connection when there clearly is. So it's defo o2 blocking them. I found a post on here somewhere another guy had the exact same problem. They are the only network to block all vpn on contract?! Why god knows. They don't gain anything from it. I have been told of another program which will bypass all o2 security. Iv yet to try it so I can't state my results yet.

You can use vpn on a o2 payg sim so I find this utterly stupid. As for the age thing. When I signed up for the contract it asked me for my d.o.b. So surely they can work out from that how old I am. Plus when setting up my direct debit the bank also has these records. If o2 don't do these checks it explains why they have all these blocks. Accept anyone now then deal with the security later.

CBeebies is not linked to any over 18s content whatsoever but they still block this too.

The stupid thing is I can access these things on my phone (iPhone 5s) on my laptop no. I'm still within my cancellation period so if I can't find a work around I'm cancelling it. We shouldn't have to do all this running back and forward for something we are paying good money for. With Vodafone and EE the age thing can be turned off when you login online. A simple check box. Of course these networks appreciate there customers and want to keep them.

Finally. As for settings on my phone. The phone is fine. I know my way around the settings etc it's the same with computers. I'm not new to them. I know them inside out. Both computer and phone is fine it's the network that's causing it.

Thanks for your replies guy I appreciate your time. Me rambling on haha. I just cannot stand being forced to use a service how others expect when it's not them paying for it. I'd be as well just taking my money and flush it down the bog.
Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Your mobile phone settings may be fine but just to humour me, check which data bolt on you have in My O2. It's possible they are still using BlackBerry as a default.
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've never had a problem using a VPN on O2's network either so it must be account specific.....
I've never tried to watch CBeebies though so cannot comment wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I've never tried to watch CBeebies though so cannot comment wink

Really? Horrified

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous are you still having issues with this? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 11