Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Switch Up and credit check

iancarr
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

can anyone clarify the process for Switch Up, my credit rating is not great and after 6 months on Sim Only I was able to upgrade to Handset with no need to credit check with plus plan and Switch Up included, spoke to one of my local stores about possibly switching up and they are adamant that the process requires a credit check and if they process a switch up and the credit check fails I will effectively have no handset as my current handset will have been processed and balance cleared before they can then put new handset thru.

this has been so confusing as many people insist there will not be a credit check carried out and others are saying there will be and if it fails I wont get the original handset back.

can someone please clarify just exactly how the Switch Up Process works as I do not want to try and end up without a handset 

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@iancarr 

As its a regulated agreement it still requires an affordability check, and o2 reserve the right to carry out a full credit check.. My last switch up was just the affordability check, and you will not be left without a handset, as it only completes at the end of the transaction..  So if you pass all the checks and they have the handset in stock.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

madasaf1sh
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@iancarr 

As its a regulated agreement it still requires an affordability check, and o2 reserve the right to carry out a full credit check.. My last switch up was just the affordability check, and you will not be left without a handset, as it only completes at the end of the transaction..  So if you pass all the checks and they have the handset in stock.

Message 2 of 19

iancarr
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok cheers, staff seem to think once the process starts they clear balance on current handset and therefore can not return it if checks were to fail

Message 3 of 19

Ogre66
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

off but where did you check your credit rating?

Message 4 of 19

iancarr
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

experian, been bad for a while which was why i had Sim Only 1st

Message 5 of 19

SerSchnuupi
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Also would like more clear information on this. I've been informed and told by O2 that once switch up process is started you cannot get your device back if you cancel it part way. Failing the credit check would also count for this. It says this on the websites switch up information. Can someone confirm that if the credit check fails we can get our previous device back? Otherwise I'd literally be left with no phone whatsoever. And I don't want to be paying for Switch Up when if I try to use it I just end up phoneless, unable to call anyone, text, call emergency services etc. I literally wouldn't have access to my bank account if I couldn't get my device back.

Message 6 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12139 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions

From what I remember @SerSchnuupi they inspect your phone before starting the switch but don't take it until the new deal is all set up. 

So if the credit check or anything fails the old device is still yours.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 19

madasaf1sh
  • 10282 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@SerSchnuupi 

Having done a couple of switch up's they inspect the phone before starting the process, and only take it at the end, so exactly as @gmarkj says

Message 8 of 19

iancarr
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok does it require a fresh credit check, as that is where I would have an issue

Message 9 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@iancarr 

There's no hard check when you switch up. They just check you aren't in arrears with your O2 payments.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 19