cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Refresh contract ending

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

just been doing some sums as my contract is up for renewel soon. 

I want to get the S8 next but i have a dilema.

with o2 via the site i can get: 3GB data unlimted calls and text for £39.99 upfront and £44.00 a month.

with a competitor i can get : 10GB data unlimted calls and text for £36.00 a month and no upfront cost. (and on o2)

so basically as i dont upgrade early im paying over £200 per 24months extra for a privlage i do not use.

anyone else noticed this?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes indeed. Refresh is worth doing if you like to upgrade early, as some people do, but if you are the sort that always goes 2 years or longer, you can find better deals elsewhere.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes indeed. Refresh is worth doing if you like to upgrade early, as some people do, but if you are the sort that always goes 2 years or longer, you can find better deals elsewhere.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Refresh is a great idea, not just for being able to upgrade early but also people who find it hard to make payments due to changes in circumstances they have no control over. 

If you feel financially secure for the foreseeable future and Refresh is not important then you've done the maths so go for the best deal to suit your needs. 

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If Refresh isn't a deal breaker then always go for the better offer. It's personal preference and what suits you best @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

BUT...

If you are going for an Android handset

ALWAYS remember that a third party will almost certainly not supply an O2 branded handset. Sometimes this can be a good thing as the handset will not have any bloatware installed. But you’ll also end up losing out on up-and-coming functions like 4G calling, WiFi Calling, LTE-A reception, MIMO and a whole load of other things. 

These restrictions don’t apply to iPhones as Apple will not allow Networks to modify their OS to block  certain functions for others users. 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah good point especially with the introduction of WiFi calling.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This is whet I find infuriating, you need O2 firmware, software, £1000 phone on a new contract to be able to use WiFi calling. But no texts until later on this year which I find disgraceful. 

Message 7 of 8

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

This only applies to Android handsets although every UK network is up to this old rubbish. And I agree its ridiculous. But at least when O2 start using LTE-A then you will get a status icon to tell you so. EE branded Android handsets have for some reason known only to EE their 4G+ Icon blocked. 

Message 8 of 8