Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mobile broadband

K888
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm having huge difficulty getting broadband into a holiday cottage in a rural area.  Openreach/ Plusnet want to charge me £3000+ to install a telephone line and I have no other options other than a pocket mobile hub.  But the area is only 3G  - occasionally 3G.  Would a mobile broadband mini hub work in these conditions - and if so - could different people staying in the cottage (3 at the most) access Wifi on their devices? I also have a smart TV so would want the mini-mobile hub to supply Wifi to here too. 

I've tried all the major broadband / mobile providers and no one seems to be able to help me! Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Kate 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@K888

In theory yes it will work, but If you can only get 2G and at the best 3G then you are going to struggle with the speeds that any of these devices will run at which wont be enough for a Smart TV, and the other devices.

Have you had a look at Rural Broadband options rather than Plusnet, as these can provide services using a different technology?

If you google Rural Broadband Services it should bring up some options such as airband and B4RN

edited to add b4rn

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

K888
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks - I've tried both of those operators you suggested but neither provide a service to my postcode. But really appreciate your help. Kate 

Message 3 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@K888 If the area your cottage is in only gets 3G at best, then that's what you'd get with a mini-mobile hub, and that wouldn't be enough to do the things you want to do.

The Openreach/Plusnet charge is extortionate, but if it's the only service that will provide you with a strong enough WiFi signal, you may have to bite the bullet and pay for it.

Have you made enquiries to anyone else who lives in the area as to how they deal with the issue?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 4