Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone not working - still paying remaining contract...unsatisfied with service

NUMBER56
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My partner put my iphone through the washing machine in December 2012...I was hugely dependent on my iPhone and although I tried I was unable to fix it.

My upgrade isn't due til May, I have continued to pay for a phone I do not use. Is there anything I can do? I had no insurance, obviously (as I couldn't afford the extra cost) and have gotten by without it since being with O2 for 3 years or more. I phoned O2 immediatly, they said they could either end my contract early, which I'd have to pay for, and I couldn't afford at the time...and so I have simply continued to pay...

I would've thought O2 would've offered a reduced rate of payments for a phone line not being used...or lent me a downgraded phone or something...

I feel let down by O2's customer service, all in all I'm happy with my poduct, support and service - up until this happened. Surely there are other customers that have been in the same boat.

I'm never one to complain I just thought O2 would be more understanding towards people like me, and many others, that depend on their iphone for their business and who are also struggling to make ends meet in the current state of the UK's finances.

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated...

*Do O2 give you anything for your old phone if it is damaged - the only physical damage is the screen, to dull to see, although the operating system is still working.

Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If you have another handset available O2 can move your account onto a new sim card to be used in that and they can remove any data boltons if you have any.

If your contract was taken out in June 2011 then you should be able to downgrade your tariff by one band and remove any data boltons you have on it.

As the phone is water damaged, O2 Recycle would probably give you nothing for it - sorry.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If you have another handset available O2 can move your account onto a new sim card to be used in that and they can remove any data boltons if you have any.

If your contract was taken out in June 2011 then you should be able to downgrade your tariff by one band and remove any data boltons you have on it.

As the phone is water damaged, O2 Recycle would probably give you nothing for it - sorry.

Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you need a phone for your business, i.e. to make calls and send texts, you can pick up a phone on Amazon for £15. There is absolutely no need for you to have been without a phone since December. O2 will provide you with a new sim card that you can use with your current contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You would still get something of value from eBay for your damaged phone (you'd be surprised how much sometimes) or you could take it to a local repair shop for a quote on repairing. Meantime just put your SIM in another O2 or unlocked handset and carry on with your calls as normal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@NUMBER56 wrote:

My partner put my iphone through the washing machine in December 2012...I was hugely dependent on my iPhone and although I tried I was unable to fix it.

Correction here - you forget to remove it from your clothes before they were washed.

Sometimes you have to take responsibilty your own actions! slight_smile

I can't see O2 have let you down either. what did you expect a free replacement phone, or release from your contract because you killed your phone?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NUMBER56 wrote:

My upgrade isn't due til May, I have continued to pay for a phone I do not use. Is there anything I can do? I had no insurance, obviously (as I couldn't afford the extra cost) and have gotten by without it since being with O2 for 3 years or more. I phoned O2 immediatly, they said they could either end my contract early, which I'd have to pay for, and I couldn't afford at the time...and so I have simply continued to pay...

I would've thought O2 would've offered a reduced rate of payments for a phone line not being used...or lent me a downgraded phone or something...

I feel let down by O2's customer service, all in all I'm happy with my poduct, support and service - up until this happened. Surely there are other customers that have been in the same boat.

I'm never one to complain I just thought O2 would be more understanding towards people like me, and many others, that depend on their iphone for their business and who are also struggling to make ends meet in the current state of the UK's finances.

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated...

*Do O2 give you anything for your old phone if it is damaged - the only physical damage is the screen, to dull to see, although the operating system is still working.

Smiley Indifferent

So lemme get this right:

• You buy an iPhone
  • O2 offer you insurance - you say no
  • You damage your iPhone
  • You contact O2 expecting them to either reduce your buyout fee or give you a shiny phone
  • O2 say no, because thats why they offered you insurance in the first place
  • You're not happy

It was your own choice not to insure the phone, you could have bought a cheap £10 phone to use but again chose not to, why exactly should O2 be helping you out?

Message 7 of 7