cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 - no more unlimited data!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been with o2 for years and have now had all 3 generations of iphone. Looking forward to upgrading to 4, but I've just received an email with a link to the new o2 tariffs (http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html) and they've put a limit of 500mb for data, which has always been unlimited. That's crazy as I have push email which is constantly using data, downloading apps which can be 20-100mb on their own and downloading music from itunes store.

Hopefully this is an error, as I'll be looking forward to seeing the competitors tariffs.

Sort it out o2!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
They also HALVE the minutes back down to 300 mins....I just checked my current contract and its 600 mins and 500 messages. the new contract shows 300 mins, unlimited messages and 500mb cap on data.

i'm also willing to look into other providers!
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the reasons that the O2 network has been under a lot of strain over recent years is the heavy usage of data. Personally I think it's a sensible step that stops a minority of heavy users from impacting the service quality that the majority of users receive.
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is just not right!

iPhone is the one of the most "mobile" devices ever. Push notifications - needs internet connection, App Store - needs internet connection, iTunes - needs internet connection, most of apps (google maps, weather, google, google earth, facebook, skype, ebay, amazon, youtube and more...) - need internet connection!!!

O2! Please sort it out!

Otherwise.. I'm going somewhere else, where I don't have to pay for data usage.
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's my feelings on it.
Halving of minutes - Sucks!
500 to Unlimited Text - Don't care never got near 200 texts
Paid MMS - Sucks!
Data Caps - Unacceptably low (2GB would be better). A cap would be fine, if it was higher
Really this is one massive PR disaster for O2 and they need to sort it out ASAP!

If there truly is a minority of 3% who are caning the network then why not deal with them (i.e. revoke their access or restrict it in someone as is the terms of their contracts). Instead you've opted for the heavy handed approach of screw everyone, even those who are abusing the unlimited-ness.

A 500MB cap will mean I've got to constantly watch my usage, and I loved not having to do that. But those few abusing it are most likely tethering when they shouldn't be or otherwise breaching the existing T&Cs of fair usage so handle it that way instead. Would seem a lot more sensible.
Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
funny, vodafone said the exact same '3%' figure on their forums when they introduced a hard cap. Wonder if they are in cahoots?
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's pathetic, there are mixed messages all over the shop.

I will be leaving o2 once my contract is up. Purely for the audacity to try the £20 per month swindle on iPhone 4 upgrades plus the cost of the handset, and to then 'remove' unlimited data? If it's only 3% of customers whats the problem. Your driving away and ***** off a lot of consumers for little to no point.

I'm off sorry...but fatal mistake o2.

Also your MD's pathetic attempts to justify it in his open letter / blog post, only further goes to show what a money grabber he is.
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
As another person who has has the original iPhone then the 3G and having waited to upgrade since December and still paying £45 per month I am significantly disappointed that this has happened. I think that I only use about 150 meg of cellular data so the drop is not significant for me, but what is is why the need to drop any of my allowances like minutes and data. I would have been happy to have stayed with O2 and would not have looked elsewhere if the tariffs had remained as was, but now.... Well, I'll be actively looking to jump ship, not to Voda as the signal and coverage for me is useless, but Orange or T-Mobile will be a real contender! Major own goal O2! If it is the capacity of networks, then get them upgraded cos data etc isn't going away, it's just gonna get bigger!

O2, Get it sorted very, very quickly otherwise a lot of people will be ofski!!!!
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Purely for the audacity to try the £20 per month swindle on iPhone 4 upgrades plus the cost of the handset

Erm, how is it a swindle? YOU agreed to a contract where YOU would pay amount x for y months. O2 are under no obligation to release you from you contract early or to give you a new phone early. The fact that they are giving you a lower-cost way to exit your contract, instead of the usual termination fees, is a good thing.

I reckon you'll be back here in June 2011 complaining that O2 won't let you get the iPhone 5, even though you chose to enter into a 24 month contract in June 2010 for the iPhone 4.

If you don't like the 2 year obligation that contracts tie you into, then don't get one; buy a PAYG iPhone, and sell it when Steve brings out his latest shiny toy.
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not impressed with O2's new tariffs. Is there anything to stop me taking out a 12 month iphone simplicity contract now (before the 24th) with the existing minutes/text/unlimited data bundle, then just buying the iphone 4 outright on PAYG when it becomes available?
Message 10 of 20