cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 3G to 3GS

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been on the £35 tariff for my entire contract, so can upgrade 1 month early, from the 11th December.

I'd like to upgrade to the 3GS, but on ringing o2 today, they said there is no upgrade option and that I can only be offered the same deal as new customers - so £185 for the 16gb 3GS and the same tariff and £35pm cost for the same 600 mins/500 texts.

Has anyone upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS and if so what deals did you get? When I was on the phone I didn't actually ask to leave and so wasn't put through to customer retentions, I just explained I'm almost at the end of my contract and asked about the 3GS upgrade options.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just had exactly the same thing.

Perhaps someone from O2 would like to come on the board and explain exactly why I should not just run down the old contract and get a new smart phone from, say Vodafone?

what incentive are they offering for me to volunterily lock myself in for another 18 months? None

The whole point of upgrade options is precisely that - a quid pro quo.

having shelled out £100 back in august last year and spent 18 months paying £35 for patchy 3g coverage and sub-standard soft and hardware (is there a worse camera on the market? and what abiout not being able to MMS or forward texts until OS3????) continuing customers should be rewarded for staying loyal - or at least given the slightest of reasons, instead we are being required to fork out full whack again.

While the iphone is good at what it does, the company is asking its users to stand still or pay to go forward while compeitors will start to offer a better product at less or no cost. Without an incentive, users will migrate.
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple normally run a 12month product cycle, so the GS is nearly halfway through it's life already, the new iphone will probably be out about june, although only apple know for sure. So at this stage maybe tying yourself into a 18mnth contracts not a good idea, i have just moved to the iphone simplicity tariff and if a new phone does come out, will probably pay the full price rather than lock myself into another 18 or 24 month contract.
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just had exactly the same thing.
Perhaps someone from O2 would like to come on the board and explain exactly why I should not just run down the old contract and get a new smart phone from, say Vodafone?
what incentive are they offering for me to volunterily lock myself in for another 18 months? None
The whole point of upgrade options is precisely that - a quid pro quo.
having shelled out £100 back in august last year and spent 18 months paying £35 for patchy 3g coverage and sub-standard soft and hardware (is there a worse camera on the market? and what abiout not being able to MMS or forward texts until OS3????) continuing customers should be rewarded for staying loyal - or at least given the slightest of reasons, instead we are being required to fork out full whack again.
While the iphone is good at what it does, the company is asking its users to stand still or pay to go forward while compeitors will start to offer a better product at less or no cost. Without an incentive, users will migrate.

You do actually realise that O2 don't set the prices completely by themself, they have an agreement with Apple and the iphone cannot be sudsidised further. If you take the time to look, Orange are offering basically exactly the same deals as O2.

Iphone users tend to stay with the iphone and I guess you probably will as well. Otherwise, go pick a normal smartphone and get a loyalty bonus!

Also if you hate all then things about the phone, then why are you going to buy it again?? Good business sense to me, you complain about the patchy coverage, substandard software/hardware and its limited features yet you want another! As I said, chances are you will get another one because that is what 'iphone users' do, so may as well charge you full whack!
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
my heart bleeds for O2, it really does....

I dont hate all things about the phone.

####

Come the end of my 18 month lock up I will be looking for a better smartphone deal.

going from no smartphone to an iphone 3g was worth paying £100 & the monthly fee - upgrading for a slightly better camera and an electronic compass when I already have the iphone is not worth £175 - i'm not a fanboi so I dont have the addiction to having the next shiny toy for its own sake regardless of cost. That's basic microeconomics.

If O2 want to maximise their customer base (good business sense) they are going about it the wrong way by appealing only to apple slaves.
Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Again, like I said, O2 don't have any way to change the tariffs for new or old customers as they are set and agreed with Apple and cannot give different deals. This phone is the most wanted around and Orange offer basically the same deal. People have paid hundreds to upgrade early for these phones etc.. They give deals on other smartphones so I cannot really see your point, as a customer obviously we want cheap deals but O2 cannot do anything so.. You are just going to have to get a great deal on another phone.
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Spoke to retentions on Friday 11th and told them I was after my PAC code. The woman I spoke to said I was 1 day early and if I called again on the 12th I would be offered a better loyalty deal. This was an upgrade to a Refurbished/Returned 3G S which would normally be £99 but she said I could have it for free as a loyal customer if I renewed my £35/month tariff for 18 months. Called again yesterday on the 12th and they wouldn't let me have the deal and said they are not doing any deals for any customers. Requested my PAC code and told them I shall be moving to Orange. Anyone else been offered this 'phantom' deal?
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Spoke to retentions on Friday 11th and told them I was after my PAC code. The woman I spoke to said I was 1 day early and if I called again on the 12th I would be offered a better loyalty deal. This was an upgrade to a Refurbished/Returned 3G S which would normally be £99 but she said I could have it for free as a loyal customer if I renewed my £35/month tariff for 18 months. Called again yesterday on the 12th and they wouldn't let me have the deal and said they are not doing any deals for any customers. Requested my PAC code and told them I shall be moving to Orange. Anyone else been offered this 'phantom' deal?
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yea I have heard that O2 can do deals on Reconditioned Iphones, call back I would say. Call retentions, not upgrades though.
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 retentions may be able to offer some deal with a reconditioned handset.
However, because o2 can't offer a 'loyality' bonus with a new handset, what is the point in moving to Orange to be offered the same deal?
Neither Orange or o2 are allowed discounted deals with the iPhone and when one will be able to do it.
Goodluck with your Orange custome service anyway.
Message 10 of 20