Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSim not working in the USA - Just says SOS

gortex342
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. I have an o2 pay monthly eSim which was working fine in the UK. I also went to France with it last month and it worked fine there too. But now im in the US, and instead of the signal strength I just see SOS. This is on an iPhone 12. I have called o2 and they say that roaming is enabled and it should work. I have also tried:
1. rebooting the phone

2. changing the apn manually to mobile.o2.co.uk

3. Enabling data Roaming

4. switching to 4g.

5. Turning wifi calling OFF.

I am stuck for what else to try. How can  I get the esim to work in the US?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

@gortex342 

Try manually connecting to a different network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 8

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6839 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1529 Solutions

Check 4G Calling is enabled

USA - Roaming with O2 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 8

gortex342
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have tried connecting to a network manually and get the same issues.

@Enllihow do i check 4G calling is enabled? I have disabled Wifi Calling and 5G, so i think it is 4g ?

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

@gortex342 

It should still connect to a network anyway but 4g calling, which goes hand in hand with wifi calling is needed to make calls, so you need wifi and 4g calling turned on in your phone settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 8

gortex342
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't think you can turn off 4g calling on the iphone. I have a "Voice & Data" section that has options:
5g Auto

5g On

4g

I have tried all three and same thing. Note that I'm not just having issues making calls, I'm not receiving texts either. It seems like the sim is not registered at all.

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

@gortex342 

Yes, as I said, it should still connect to a network anyway.

Roaming with esims has been a problem in the past but I thought that was all sorted.

I suggest you message O2 on social media to check your account.

Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 8

gortex342
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have tried via twitter - after going through the basic troublehsooting they are now ignoring me.
I have tried calling support, again they went through all the troubleshooting and then they "re-provisioned" the sim card and told me to try 24 hours later. Still does not work. The next step was to escalate but this would take 5 working days, which by that time i'll be back in the UK.

Quite disappointed with the whole esim issues, I'll be switching back to physical sim when I'm home.

Message 8 of 8