cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera quality nokia 5800

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received my 5800 last night and I think it is brilliant. However took a few pictures indoors and the quality is really bad. Very grainy and poor which is disappointing as my previous phone 6500 slide took really good photos.

I have fiddled around with the setting and improved them a bit, however still very poor considering its over 3mp and has a Carl zeiss lens 😞

anyone else find this??
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have a 5800 but I've had lots of camera phones, with varying degrees of picture quality.

The MP count of course refers only to the size of the image, not the quality. Having said that, the bigger the image file, the more chance you've got of getting a reasonable 7x5 print, if you print them out, but anything over 2-3MP is usually enough.

The lens is a big factor, and the 5800 has a good one.

Unfortunately it only has an LED flash, which isn't as strong as the Xenon, so indoor shots will be poorly illuminated, leading to "noisy" pictures at high ISO's as the lens tries to capture more light.

IMHO the main factor is the quality of the image sensor. You can have the best lens and a powerful flash, but if the sensor is of poor quality then your photos will suffer. Nokia (like most phone companies) use a CMOS sensor which isn't as sensitive to light as the CCD commonly found in dedicated digital cameras. So this makes the strength of the flash even more important.

What I'm trying to say, is it's impossible to compare cameras on phones purely from the spec sheet. You really have to see the photos they take to be able to make a comparison before purchase.

A lot of review sites will show sample pics from phone cameras, if this feature is important.

SV
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use nightmode even if it's light. It reduces the grain a lot.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you guys. I suppose I was just expecting it to be as good as my last nokia. Thank you for your input both of you.
I have tried nightmode and it does improve however its still not very good. Its very grainy and misty 😞

I've had a look on reviews and people have said similar. However I still love it and I suppose if I need a good quality picture. I should stick to my camera.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
i really think something can be done about the camera in a firmware update. The specs of thc 5800 cam are the same if not better than the 6500 slide (same lens, flash etc) so there should be no reason why it produces vastly inferior pics indoors. The pics are ok outside durin gthe day, but i feel the cam could do much better - its a backward step.
Message 5 of 5