cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is o2 stealing my money?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi can some body help and explain to me why i keep getting an alert sent to my phone saying - 'Message from WAP: O2: You need atleast 17p calltime credit to access your mobile internet service. To top-up call 4444 free now.'
It is being sent over an over and over again, it interupts me whilst im playing games and whilst im texting.
I have noticed my credit dissapears aswel soon after i top up even though i only text people and dont ring anyone, then the alerts start again telling me i need money to access my WAP even though i never use WAP.
Can some one please help, thanks, Mark
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
your phone is accessing the internet.
which phone do you have so we can point you in the right direction to stop it accessing the internet.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think its the 3G, its 16g if that helps
Message 3 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
on an iphone if running ios4 or above settings> general> network turn cell data off.
if on an earlier ios you need to remove the three apn's
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi MarkEo,
####

That's nothing to do with this thread. I just can't understand why you would think it did. Did you misread something?
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's nothing to do with this thread. I just can't understand why you would think it did. Did you misread something?

Actually it is very relevant to this thread and discloses a lot of things which O2 customers need to be aware of, I appreciate you doing your job to divert bad press away from O2, but the OP did not know where his money was disappearing to and it's only fair to inform him of this little O2 scam. I suggest you re-read the original post and see if you can comprehend what he's upset about. :mansurprised:
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your rather amusing attempt at attacking me reveals the weakness of your argument.
To the OP, all that is happening is that you haven't turned off the internet on your handset. This means you will be charged for the automatic connections it makes. If you follow the advice above to turn off the net then you will no longer be charged. You might want to consider changing to a tariff with inclusive internet so that you can fully enjoy your handset.
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having this problem too, though it's the first time I've ever had it whilst in the UK. I did once forget to turn cellular data off when I went to Spain.
But this time it's strange, because the £10 for my web & wifi bolt on was only taken on Saturday so I'm well within my usage allowance, and I topped up £10 last night bringing my credit to £19.81, yet this morning I was browsing and all that balance had gone! Rather annoyed to lose almost £20 of credit in about the 10 minutes I was browsing!
Message 8 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Taneli
Best to ring customer services and see what is happening as you say your £10 was taken for web@wifi bolton
Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice of you to delete my original message, what's the matter guys, did I hit a nerve with O2 getting bad press.
Here, let me re-cap for everyone affected by the "money mysteriously disappearing" from their calling credit. O2 have a system where Apple iPhones connect to the internet without your knowledge to access the internet and deduct extortionate amounts of money in the process. It doesn't matter if you have turned off all data transfer settings including data roaming, 3g, locations services etc. The iPhone has a mind of its own (apparently) to connect to the internet and browse by itself, you will almost certainly incur a charge even when your iPhone is at home nestled safely next to a wifi connection (which in theory should cost you nothing!).
There was a lot of commotion last time O2 customers got deceived this way which led to popular tech news site The Register publishing an article highlighting how O2 customers felt about getting short-changed. Looks like, nothing much has changed yet, when will you learn O2? For all those interested, you can have a read ::: HERE :::
Message 10 of 12