Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is PAYG cheaper than contract.

Pat-uk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m trying to work this out, I’ve been with O2 since it was BT Celnet, and every time my contract runs out I have to struggle and search to get a decent deal.

I don’t need a new phone, I just need sim only contract, I checked today and for some reason I have been put on a 9gig contract at £10.90 a month.

now for a PAYG simI can have 10gig (25gig for the first 3 months) plus get cash back.

if I want to have a 24 month contract it will cost £12.00 for just 6gig.

pretty much all the PAYG non contract deals are cheaper and offer more data. You still get what’s left of the Priority deals, which have become a bit pants lately.

In addition to all this, if I go through the MyO2 app then it’s more expensive for me to change tariff, also you can’t just go to the O2 web page and get all the offers, you have to search comparison sites to find hidden offers.

Shouldn’t contract deals be better than PAYG, and shouldn’t existing customers get the best deals without having to search around.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

20GB for £8. 

Just take out a new contract and then migrate your old number across

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/sim-only/networks/o2/

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 3

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36016 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

Contract deals offer advantages over PAYG as well:

1. 5G Data only for those on Contract

2. WiFi Calling only works if Contract

3. Better roaming cost (marginally) when roaming outside the Europe Zone (where applicable)

4. Itemised billing in your MyO2

5. VOLT benefits if a customer of VirginMedia service as well as O2

Probably some others, but those are a start, @Pat-uk 

A new mid-range Smartphone, 10GB of data boosted to 30GB, and then the 10GB based data doubled by Volt to 20GB (so 40GB of data monthly), unlimited calls and texts - all from a reseller selling me a phone on O2 (all the e-mails come from O2) for £18 per month (RPI will increase that twice, in April - can't avoid that on Contract).

Horses for courses, @Pat-uk.

Message 3 of 3